XII | NARCISSA

for those that have been reading these as i update, a small change has been made

for those that have been reading these as i update, a small change has been made. narcissa's superhero name is now Scarlet Serpent rather than Viper, because i feel like Viper is too simple. anyway, enjoy this chapter!
[ 12 ]

THROUGHOUT HER LIFE, Narcissa had always been good at hiding, whether it was during training at Crux or running from deals gone bad or angry mob bosses. Pax Killdow had been a personal favourite - hiding from his boys was a task that sent adrenaline shuddering through her body. While the men shouted behind her, she wove through dumpsters in dank alleyways as if they weren't even there, sprinted down staircases and bombarded through windows with glass shattering all around her.

But now, when the life of someone that she actually cared for was in her hands, she found herself only able to watch Finn fade away in front of her very eyes. Seeing him for the first time in four years had brought back a lot of feelings that she'd forgotten about - anger, guilt, embarrassment, lust - and they were threatening to spill.

They'd opened the first door they could find - an empty storeroom littered with dusty shelves. An abandoned bundle of paper had been left behind, heaped on the floor in a way that could almost resemble the shape of a bed. After checking that nothing was under it, she put Finn down as gently as she could, hands trembling, not from his weight but rather the panic ricocheting around her body.

"Barricade the door with what you can. Create a wall of fire, mind control them, whatever it takes, understand?"

Narcissa didn't usually give or take commands, but in the rare occasions she did, the situation was dire. Thankfully Wildfire and Sasha didn't argue, their expressions earnest.

"It's not deep, but he's lost a lot of blood. Did you two see anything, when you weren't making out in the hallway?"

The two exchanged flustered looks, Sasha's knuckles white as she clutched the doorframe.

"We-we weren't in our right minds," she said slowly, the little amount of colour that was in her pale face fading as she spoke.

"Neither were Finn and I. What's your point, Siren?"

Narcissa laughed drily as she peeled the gold-covered shirt from Finn's torso, staring at the slash in his chest for a moment before closing her eyes. The laughter was gone, replaced with a knot of fear in her stomach. Tending to wounds like his wasn't something new for her - though she'd never been injured before, South and East Semper had their fair share of violence and street fighting, and everything else.

The suburbs of the North were notably less rough. Besides, Narcissa didn't waste her time on teenage boys fighting over football or whatever they were doing. No, now she was wasting her time on teenage boys fighting over the fate of the one home she'd always known. It was only marginally worse, she thought as she tore a strip of fabric from her t-shirt, stemming the blood flow. He was still breathing, so that was a plus, wasn't it?