XIV | FINN

[ 14 ]

WHAT DID a creature do when it was being hunted? Gazelles leapt as far as they could, trying desperately to get away. Birds flapped their wings, trying desperately to get away. And Finn stood in his cell, scanning the walls for vantage points and trying desperately to get away. He tried to think of something smart to do, thinking, "What would Batman do?"

It was pointless, really.

He didn't have a Robin, and though Finn had always been opposed to the idea of a sidekick for self-esteem reasons and morals, one would've really come in handy right now with a battering ram or something. Alas, his Robin wasn't any closer than before, and time was of the essence, so he diverted is thoughts and tuned back into what the boy was saying, delivering a villain speech with gusto.

"In precisely three seconds, a gas will be pumped into your individual cell, containing the serum that amplified your powers in the first place. You will overdose, and join me in our glorious mission, driven insane by the chemicals. Any questions?"

Finn raised his hand, hoping to ask, "what the hell, dude?" but the boy ignored him.

Squaring his shoulders, Finn looked up at the single vent in the cell, which previously had been blasting icy air into the small room, though it had now paused, causing sweat to prick uncomfortably at his collar. Slowly, something else began to ebb out of the vent, something that Finn thought, at the first glimpse, was stardust. He scoffed at his own childishness, narrowing his eyes as the gas began to waft closer to him.

Instinctively, he made his way to the farthest corner of his cell, leaning against the padded wall, trying his best not to breathe in the air, which was beginning to smell like noxious chemicals. It was hard to believe the stuff coursed through his veins, too, maybe even more than real blood after over twelve years worth of it. Now that it was closer, Finn furrowed his eyebrows, studying it. The gas moved agonisingly slowly, and the more he looked, the more it really did look like stardust - it was beautiful.

A smudgy dark grey, with bursts of ethereal light pulsing within it, making warmth tug at the places where his skin made contact with it. It had begun to swirl around his neck and shoulders, and he held his breath, heart pounding and blood pouring in his ears. One last time, he looked around, hoping foolishly that some magical escape had materialised, but found nothing. The gas rushed into his nose and mouth.

Finn closed his eyes and let the stars take him.

~•~

EXHILARATION. THAT WAS the first thing he felt when he woke up, roaring in his veins and forcing him to stand, energy pounding in his chest. Finn gazed at the open door for a second, dark eyes flashing, before walking out of it, led by glorious purpose. Today, there were people that would bow to him, recognise him as the saviour Semper City needed.

It was funny, really, how cruel the Mother was. Opening her iron arms for one moment, then snapping them shut, luring country fools in with cards and flashing lights, daring them to test their luck in the casinos that lined the East End, don the Anarchist's masks sold in the Southside, not knowing what they truly signified. Because they were all just pawns, shifting on the Mother's chessboard, while she cackled,
knowing what was about to happen to them.

Mother Semper would have to wait, for now. They were coming for her, but first, they had to destroy it all. Watch it burn. Save the Mother. The words dragged on in his head.