XXIII | FINN

[ 23 ]

HE WATCHED THE SMOKE RISE and resisted the urge to break down. Watching it all go up in flame, Finn tried to force himself to think of something heroic to do, but no idea came -- all he could do was stand there, stand as the bar went up in flame, stand as he listened to people shout drunkenly and stand as more people pulled up outside, ashen-faced. Some of them were sobbing, others just standing blankly ahead. Finn didn't know if anyone had been hurt; he hoped not, but the sheer size of the flames and the sweltering heat coming off it in waves was enough to solidify those fears into something heavy and dark and definitely real.

Jasper had gone in a while ago, occasionally hauling out limp figures, but even he hadn't returned yet, engulfed by flames that couldn't hurt him. At least that was a mild comfort, knowing that he couldn't be taken, gone in the same way that Sasha had. Finn clenched his fists, knuckles threatening to burst as the bone pressed, white, under his skin. Panic rose in waves mirroring those of the building as he paced around, breathing in smoky air heavily.

A dark shape in the corner of his eyes grew closer, followed by the smell of rose shampoo. Finn held back a jump of surprise as that smell wafted closer and closer, followed by a weight on his shoulder. Narcissa's lips pursed as she rested her head on his shoulder, her hand slowly finding his as it lay limply by his side. Giving it a reassuring squeeze, she met his eyes briefly, before turning away.

"It's a disaster," she murmured, looking down at her feet. For a moment, they stood in silence, before her head suddenly tilted back upwards, eyes widening with realisation. "Wait. Don't do anything -- don't try and stop me."

Peeling off her jacket, she flung it into Finn's arms.

Then Narcissa Corvus walked into the burning building.

It took every ounce of willpower in Finn's body not to go after her, but he knew that if there was one thing that would make her go even crazier, it would be him following her. Besides, as much as he wanted to play the role of a hero now, he was the only one left -- Semper couldn't lose all four of them in one goddamn day. Finn forced himself to stay standing, heaving a deep breath as Director Singh approached him, the colour drained out of her face.

"Did I just see what I think I saw or is this smoke going to my head?" Neleesha indicated the spot through which Narcissa had gone in, gnawing on her bottom lip and digging her hands into her pockets. Teetering slightly, rocking backwards and forwards, she scrunched her face up as if she were trying not to cry.

"I-I..." Finn trailed off, his voice cracking. "Help them. Please, Director. I can't lose them."

"Fire truck's gonna be here in a minute," Neleesha assured him, looking down at her watch with a frown. "It's a lot to take in," she admitted as she backed away from the fire, wiping sweat from her forehead with her sleeve.

"What do you mean it's a lot to take in? There's nothing to take in. It's a burning building with the most powerful and physically able people in the city. One of which will survive, two of which will die and doom the city forever."

"You sound like a comic book character. Calm down, Finn. You forget that we're the richest and most technologically advanced law enforcement group in America. They're gonna be okay, kid."

Finn furrowed his eyebrows, shuffling his feet. "Promise?" he felt like a little boy again, waiting for parents that would never return.

Director Singh gave him a quick nod. "I promise, on the behalf of Crux and Semper herself."

But her words weren't enough -- they could never be enough, not when he was standing here, watching the world pass by and destruction unfold.

"Look."