Jill's home

The sound of a lock turning shakes Jace out of her revery. "Ok here we are, home sweet home" Jill leads Jace in, her hands on her shoulders. Jace looks around the tiny apartment. She sees a rundown brown couch, a dusty small fridge, two wooden chairs and a small tv with an antennae. "I know it's not much but it grows on you." Jace walks down the narrow hall and sees two rooms, one is the size of her old closet. "Are you hungry?" Jace shakes her head. "Ok well..." Jill walks down the hall a few feet, "this will be your room." Jace squeezes into the closet-sized room. There is a thin yellow stained mattress on the oatmeal carpet. Then a small walnut dresser with a nightlight. "I know it's not special but it's all I have." Jill walks out, "have a good night." Jace sits on the mattress and cries. That night she dreams that she's back home encased in the scent of fresh baked cookies. But the dream ended all too soon, "we'll be back soon, bye honey." "NO!" Jace cries out but her parents are long gone. She wakes with a jolt and realizes it's light outside. She yawns and gets up. She exits the room and finds Jill attempting to make pancakes. "Hey sweetie, how'd you sleep?" Jace shrugs, "so I thought you might like some pancakes." "I'm not hungry" she replies. Jill sighs and looks hurt, "ok well today we can get you enrolled at your new school: Lincolnshire Elementary."