older

FIVE YEARS LATER

Jace has been living with Julie for the past five years now as a foster kid. Dealing with Julie was ok but Mr. Blackman was terrible all the time. He was a slimy man that was always ragging on Jace. Jace finds herself dreading school and coming home. The only thing she looks forward to anymore is soccer practice with Mrs. Myers. She is the coach for elementary and middle school soccer. Soccer has been the only solid thing in young Jace's life. Well soccer and Ethan. Ethan and Jace have grown more together over the years. They are the best of friends and Jace basically lives at Ethan's house. A gigantic two story house with five rooms, an Olympic-sized pool and maids. Jace particularly is fond of Ethan's husky named avalanche. Today Ethan and Jace are hanging out at Ethan's house sitting at the bar sharing some chocolate chip walnut cookies courtesy of Ally the head maid. Jace bites into a cookie and scribbles on a piece of paper. Jace and Ethan have a five page report on the Amazon rainforest due in a few days and so far they only had two sentences. Ethan chewed on a pen thoughtfully, "hmmm...wonder if any of the amazonian's have to do book reports?" Jace playfully swatted him, "focus Ethan. Our report is due in three days." Ethan can't help smiling and thinking how lucky he was to meet Jace. A few hours later Ethan's dad comes home with chinese takeout. "Plan on staying for some sesame chicken and eggrolls Jace?" Ethan's dad sets the food down and gazes at her. Jace shaked her head and hops down from the barstool. "No thanks Mr. Harman. I just finished part of the book report with Ethan. I should be getting home soon anyways." Mr. Harman offers her a ride and she agrees to it. After dropping her off Jace waves goodbye and can't help but be wistful. She wished that she had agreed to stay over for dinner. If only Jace had known how this night was going to be, she would have definitely not come home.