11PM

I finally gather enough courage to brave the outside. I race into the night with a helmet on my head and a mostly empty backpack on my back. I figured that my bike would be less likely to get stolen if I leave it chained up next to more expensive bikes. The helmet adds protection. The big debate with myself on the way down was if I should ride through the dark alleys or on the streets. Despite all common sense, I decided on alleyways. 

After about half an hour of walking, I realize how stupid that choice was. I stopped walking for a bit. It suddenly came to me that I was completely lost. I sneak my way to the edge of the building. Good thing, too. From the shadows of the building next to me, I see them.

The Halloween Team.

In front of me is a group of five fellow students all dressed in insane costumes. Farthest from me, what I've got to assume is Chucky's daughter. Cause I've seen "Child's Play," and I know that Chucky's overalls didn't cutoff mid-thigh. Whatever. It's the Purge, she looks cute, and she has a knife. So what can I do besides admire her knee-high socks? Next, a dude in full Jason Voorhees regalia, including a machete. Closest to me, a Freddy Kreuger impersonator who must have forgotten that Freddy's hair was burned off but remembered the finger blades. Next to Freddy, there's a girl dressed as Leatherface, complete with a (presumably, but probably not) rubber mask and (a definitely) fully-functioning chainsaw. And in the center is the ringleader of the gang: Michael Myers and his fabulous kitchen knife. 

I retreat into the alley without making any noise before they see me. Although I hear one of them mumble something about finding the girl that stole one of his bomb pops. So, someone in that gang is Waverly and I now have one more reason to never run into them on Purge Night.

Once I know they're out of earshot, I pull out my phone and figure out how to get to the hardware store.

Finally, I arrive at the hardware store. Sadly, so do the Pretty Boys. After they enter the store, I stealth my way into it. The door is automatic though. They didn't see me, but they know I'm here.

I notice they go left, where all the store signs say the kerosene is. Just my luck. I decide to travel one aisle up. Eventually, I reach the end of the aisle. Pressed up against the shelf, I can practically feel the breath of the gang's leader he's that close. 

All of the sudden, I feel him turn away. I hear the Pretty Boys run to the opposite side of the store. I guess they found something more interesting over there. The roar of the riding mowers alerts me of what that other interesting thing is. I dash to the aisle that they were previously on and find the kerosene almost instantly. I grab four bottles and shove them into my backpack.

I hear the riding mower in the back of the store. I have about thirty seconds to exit the store.

I dash out of the store. Hopefully they didn't hear anything over the roar of the riding mower.

Once I'm out on the street, I begin my journey to the book store and the inevitable pyre.