Let Go

The Avatar Returns

"You're gone and all that's left are the pieces." - From Ashes To New

🌊 🌋 🔥 🌪

"Zuko, you have to promise me you won't hurt anyone when we land." Aelita leaned against the doorway of her friend's chamber, watching as crew members carefully secured the armor of red and gold onto his body. He looked so much like a warrior with his newly revived confidence and determination, not at all like the innocent child she had grown up beside. When had he gone from a boy to a man and how had she not noticed it before?

"If they're harboring a fugitive, I'll do what I have to do." He told her casually. That morning a flare shot high in the sky had caught his attention. He had been able to track the smoke back to an abandoned Fire Navy ship that had been stranded in the barren ice. That was when Zuko finally found him. The Avatar, his key to everything. Zuko had watched as the missing man used his airbending to escape the confines of the ship, a Water Tribesman in his arms. They headed towards the shelter of a nearby village blissfully unaware of how drastically both their lives and his were about to change.

"Zuko, there aren't any even waterbenders left in the Southern Water Tribe." Aelita brushed past the servants who quickly retreated out of the room when they noticed her clipped tone. "And our sources told us that all of their men are away fighting, they can't even defend themselves!" She exclaimed growing agitated.

Zuko sighed and turned toward his only friend. She was too kind for her own good. "I know how you feel about this war." He started and she couldn't hold his gaze. It was no secret Aelita hated the war. She had never fully accepted the lines they were fed in school about their Nation ushering the world towards the greater good and the day Sukomo died, she stopped listening entirely. Zuko knew she hated the violence and death that she deemed unnecessary. "Even before," There was no need to say what before. They both knew. "You were soft. "

Spirits she hated when he called her that. She didn't care if it was immature, Aelita huffed and stayed otherwise quiet.

"You have a soft spot for the innocent I mean. Trust me, I know how strong you are." Zuko said honestly because she was. Aelita Kenshin had suffered through more than her fair share of pain both mentally and physically. There were grown men who could've never lived through what she had and still come out smiling. "But you always hated to see the innocent suffer." Aelita hadn't noticed Zuko had now stood directly in front of her until he placed his hand under her chin and made her look at him. "For you Lita, I'll try to be as peaceful as possible."

She almost believed him.

It wasn't long until the black steel of the Fire Nation ship broke through the ice of the South Pole, rapidly approaching the small village in the distance like the embodiment of death itself. Just when it hadn't started to seem as if they'd plow right through the meager huddle of igloos and tents the boat began to slow down. It was then that Aelita made her way below deck, dressed in her own red and gold armor just a few paces behind Zuko. She desperately didn't want to be involved in this, but she had vowed long ago that she would never let him do this alone.

The bridge of the ship dropped and the two teenagers were nearly blinded by shimmering white snow. They blinked rapidly as their eyes adjusted to the unfamiliar reflection of light and found themselves greeted by the terrified faces of the remnants of the Southern Water Tribe. Zuko started down the bridge to confront them. A sudden cry cut him off as a ponytailed boy no older than the Prince charged with venom in his eyes.

Sokka may have been covered in war paint and carrying a club but in the eyes of his people, he still seemed so young. The leading Fire Nation soldier kicked him off to the side in a pile of snow like he was nothing. The tribe members, all women and children, stifled their cries for him.