Coming Back Down

Bato Of The Water Tribe

"Just like a lost soul in the time of need, it made me grow up fast and put some blood on my knees." - Hollywood Undead

🌊 🌋 🔥 🌪

"There's something I should tell you, kids." All attention was focused on Bato; even Aang and Aelita's. The two had both been pushed aside for the Water Tribe reunion, though the Avatar was taking it far more to heart than the Akira. "I'm expecting a message from your father," Bato said calmly.

"Really?" Katara beamed.

"When?" followed an equally happy Sokka.

"Any day now. Your father said he'd send a message when they found the rendezvous point. If you wait here until the message arrives you can come with me, and see your father again."

"It's been over two years since we've seen Dad!" Sokka fell backward in joy. "That would be so incredible Katara!"

"I do really miss him," Katara admitted and Aang felt his heart drop. "It would be great to see Dad."

"It's been far too long, hasn't it?" Bato asked but Aang didn't want to hear.

Sokka and Katara were going to leave him behind just like that, after everything they had been through. And what about Aelita? Would she follow them too? She and Sokka had one of the closest bonds, would she pick her duty with Aang? He knew Sokka and Katara deserved to be with their family, but what about him? Katara's face was the first thing he saw out of the iceberg, she was his rock. And the others had grown to be two of his best friends, what would he do without them? If Sokka and Katara reunited their family, they would shatter his. Aang couldn't listen a moment longer but the only one who noticed him leave was Aelita.

Aelita on the other hand felt bittersweet. She was no stranger to the familiar pang of pain that came from missing a loved one, and because of it, she was thrilled for her friends and their opportunities. If anyone deserved a happy reunion in her eyes it was Sokka and Katara. But she knew what place that put her and the Avatar in. There was no time to make both trips; either the siblings went to the North Pole or they went to find their father. Aang and Aelita had a duty to the rest of the world, no matter what they had to go to the North Pole. But that didn't mean the siblings did. Aelita knew she would happily give them her blessing to find Hakoda, but she also knew how badly it would hurt to say goodbye. She watched as Aang slipped out the door without a word. She guessed he was probably feeling the same way as her. Figuring she wasn't needed she made a move to stand herself when Sokka silently reached for her hand.

"As great as it would be to see Dad, we can't. We have to take Aelita and Aang to the North Pole first," he said as he squeezed her hand lightly.

"He's right." Katara chimed in. "Even if we had time to wait for the message, who knows how far we'd have to travel. We don't have time for a long detour."

"Sokka, Katara..." Aelita looked at the two. "Are you sure? Aang and I would never want to stand in the way of your family."

"You're our family too now." Katara smiled.

"We promised to get you to the North Pole," Sokka assured. "We would never go back on our word and leave you two alone."

"I'm sure your father will understand," Bato said to the two. "He'd be proud that his children are helping the Avatar and Akira."

Aelita didn't have words for her gratitude, instead, she gripped the hand holding hers tighter, hoping he knew how much their words had meant. It was truly tragic that Aang hadn't been there to hear them as well.