Slipped Away

The Siege Of The North Part Two

"I've had my wake up, won't you wake up, I keep asking why. And I can't take it, it wasn't fake it happened you passed by. Now you're gone, now you're gone, there you go, there you go somewhere I can't bring you back. Now you're gone, now you're gone, there you go, there you go somewhere you're not coming back. The day you slipped away was the day I found it won't be the same." - Avril Lavigne

🌊 🌋 🔥 🌪

He could already picture the welcome home celebration now. The docks would be filled with proud citizens cheering as his ship sailed into port. Fathers would be lining up for miles just to offer him their daughter's hands in marriage. Teachers would proudly tell their students the tales of his success and grandeur. The Fire Lord himself would welcome him into the palace with open arms. Ozai would be both grateful and impressed, a right-hand seat on the war council was practically a guarantee. Oh yes, as Zhao scooped both the koi from oasis waters he truly felt on top of the world.

High in the sky above the North Pole, the full moon turned from a heavenly white to a haunting, blood-soaked red. The ever-flowing waters that passed through the canals went still, the typhoon that Master Pakku was attacking from collapsed and the ice his waterbenders had once been using as a shield shattered. Sensing their enemies' weakness the firebenders pressed on farther into the heart of the city. The victory was just on the horizon.

"Ah!" The water in Aelita's palm fell into her lap and she clutched her head. Pain pulsed through her temple, and dread surged through her body. Across from her in the saddle Princess Yue hissed at the sudden discomfort she too was experiencing.

"What's wrong?" Sokka asked as he looked back and forth between the two girls. "Are you guys okay?"

"I feel faint," Yue admitted. This had never happened to her before.

"Aang, did you feel that too?" Aelita asked. The light of the moon clothed all of her friends in an eerie red veil. This was bad, this was very bad.

"I did." The Avatar said as he tried to shake off the feeling. Snapping the reigns he could see the city moving closer. "Faster buddy, the spirits are in danger."

"We've got to help them." Yue clutched the charm that dangled from her betrothal necklace. Sokka was still amazed at the story surrounding her birth. Her name after the moon all made sense now. "I owe them my life."

"I'll protect them at any cost," Aelita assured with determined eyes. Without the ocean or the moon, the whole world would fall apart. "I promise."

🌊 🌋 🔥 🌪

"I am a legend now!" Zhao bragged to his men. He hoisted the sack that held the still thrashing koi fish high into the sky as if it were a prize. "The Fire Nation will for generations tell stories about the great Zhao who darkened the moon and stilled the ocean. They will call me Zhao The Conqueror! Zhao The Oceans Master! Zhao The Moon Slayer! Zhao The Invincible!" His celebrations were cut short when the Avatars flying lemur attached itself to his head, clawing and chattering madly as if it could talk. "Get it off!" He roared as he tried to shake the thing away. "Get it off!" When the lemur saw his distraction had worked he flew across the oasis to land on the Avatar's outstretched arm. Behind him were his bison and their little friends, besides the boy was none other than Aelita Kenshin. She was practically serving herself up on a silver platter. This day just kept getting better. "Don't even think about it." He said as he saw them all draw for the weapons.

Aelita watched as the monster of a man holding a brown sack out in front of him that continued to thrash and move. So that was where he had the spirits. Holding his other hand beneath the bag Zhao lit a flame in his palm. They'd have to be smart about this and they'd have to do it fast.