Paradigm

The Blue Spirit

"You've been breaking down for far too long, far too many moons since you felt well and strong." - Avenged Sevenfold

Also, shout out to the most criminally rated character in the MCU for inspiring this first line. Continue.

🌊       🌋      🔥      🌪

Knock. Aim. Release. Bulls-eye. Repeat.

From the tallest tower in the Pohuai Fortress - a Fire Nation stronghold on the edge of the Earth Kingdom - Commander Zhao and Colonel Shinu watched as arrow after the arrow hit the same spot, splitting the one that had landed before it. Below the Yuyan Archers continued their target practice with deadly accuracy, making Zhao only want them more. Shinu wasn't letting go.

"Absolutely not, the Yuyan Archers stay here. Your request is denied, Commander Zhao."

"Colonel Shinu, please reconsider." Zhao attempted to persuade. "Their precision is legendary. The Yuyan can pin a fly to a tree from a hundred yards away without killing it." Further proving his point, an archer below knocked four arrows in his bow, one right above the other. On release, they all sank deep into the very center of four different targets. "You're wasting their talents using them as mere security guards." Zhao scoffed. Shinu disagreed, being in Earth Kingdom territories was still dangerous. He needed his men.

"I can do whatever I want with their talents. They're my archers and what I say goes."

Zhao was growing annoyed. He hated being told no, it wasn't something that had ever happened often. And after that insolent little airbender had made a fool out of him on the river, tricking him into burning his own boats, he wanted to capture the Avatar more than anything.

Especially if Aelita Kenshin was involved.

"But my search for the Avatar and the Akira is..."

"Is nothing but a vanity project." The Colonel interrupted. Though he was inches shorter, he got right into Zhao's face, not wanting to listen to his excuses anymore. "We're fighting a real war here and I need every man I've got Commander." He sneered, emphasizing the taller man's rank that was steps below his. He turned to head towards the stairs leading down the tower.

"But!" Zhao continued to argue.

"That's final! I don't want to hear another word about it."

Zhao would've kept going had they not been interrupted by the cry of an incoming messenger hawk. Shinu held out his arm and let the large bird land on it before taking the scroll from its compartment strapped to its back. Both men recognized the royal insignia on the parchment. Shinu's face dropped after reading it.

"News from Fire Lord Ozai?" Zhao questioned and Shinu begrudgingly handed him the paper. As he in turn read its contents, Zhao couldn't help but smile. "It appears I've been promoted to Admiral. My request is now an order."

Shinu didn't fight, he knew it wasn't worth it. After all, Zhao had somehow wormed his way right up the ranks and was now above the Colonel himself. He gave a silent bow and quickly made his way down the tower, defeated. The newly-promoted Admiral basked in his acquired power as he continued to watch his archers. He never even noticed the body crouched on top of the roof above him, dawning a blue demon's mask, and listening in to everything that was being said. Then they were gone as quickly as they arrived.

🌊       🌋      🔥      🌪

It hadn't even been a whole two days after leaving the fishing pier and the team had been forced to stop already. They were currently camped out in the mountains in an abandoned Earth Kingdom temple. Laying in their bed rolls tucked into the soft mass of Appa's fur were the two Water Tribe siblings. Aelita knelt between the two, alternating between both of their foreheads with a damp cloth. Sokka coughed loudly as Aang stirred their small fire.