Prologue

"I am not depressed!" Pari repeated for the tenth time as she entered the car.

"Of course not Pari. You're not depressed, you're just pressed with a 'de' in the beginning."

She banged her head on the car seat in front of her, deciding not to reply to her father.

"Stop torturing my poor girl Zaid. If she's not already depressed, she'll surely become depressed because of you."

She sighed in relief for Firdous's interference, grateful that her mother was on her side.

"I studied psychology, Firdous!" Zaid replied to his wife. "She's depressed with a capital D and she needs this day out to clear her mind."

"It's alright P. Beach is fun." Nissa grinned at her elder sister, giving her a side hug. Pari ignored her parents and absorbed the love her sister offered.

By the time they had reached, she could hear the breeze whispering secrets of the ocean in her ears. Pari had her own secrets too, those memories that she didn't want to surface.

The damp softness of the sand, waves overlapping each other, racing to crash the shore first, the beaming blue sky and the warm sun. The emotions were building up inside her.

She realised she couldn't stay on the picnic mat with her family any longer. She was looking for a genuine excuse and she found it. "I forgot my sunscreen in the car, I'll go get it."

Before Firdous could offer to go with her, she turned her back towards the family and rushed.

She was looking for a break from the memories but Qadr happened and they both found each other, their eyes fixed and time paused.

The next second, he looked away, hurt.

She knew from his expression that he still blamed her.

She was still his reason of heartbreak. She was the heartbreaker.

But why did the heartbreaker's heart hurt more than the hearbroken's?

•••