Chapter Five

"Claire, are you sure this is a good idea?" Maddie asked me. In record time, I had changed into riding breeches and boots. I was taking Connor on with his challenge. I needed to show him that I was serious about being here before he got to me. 

My currycomb raked along Cole's already gleaming coat. I moved on and scraped mud and shavings out of his hooves. His ears were pricked; he knew something was going on. 

"No, I don't think this is a good idea," I admitted. "But if it means Connor will finally get off my back, then it's worth a shot. What's the worst that could happen?" 

"Um, earth to Claire, a lot: you could injure Cole, you could fall off, you could injure yourself, Cole could bolt and you'd lose him in the woods, you could get in trouble with the riding instructors-" Maddie rattled off on her fingers before I cut her off. 

"Okay, I get the point." I snapped. I was already plenty fed up, and Maddie wasn't helping. 

"Sorry. But seriously, Connor brings out the worst in you. You don't think straight and you get this angry look in your eye." Maddie laughs, and I can't help but chuckle along. I guess she was correct. 

"Why is he even so rude anyways?" I asked her. She shrugged. 

"The entirety of last year I never knew him to be so, like, horrible." Maddie stared at my tack box, which had my saddle and bridle sitting on it. She reached out and stroked the leather. "He's actually a pretty good rider and a good student. And he's relatively popular and a pretty nice person. At least I thought he was." 

"He's intimidated by you." A new voice from behind us piped up. I peered out of the stall to see a dark haired girl playing with a strand of hay. "Connor's used to being good on the team. He knows how we ride. He's no amateur. With a new rider, his spot could be compromised. Obviously he doesn't want that, and obviously he's intimidated by you." 

"B-but...what?" I asked in obvious confusion. The girl laughed, and her eyes brightened up. 

"I'm Elaine. Pretty sure I saw you yesterday. Anyways, I know everyone on this team like the back of my hand. I'm perceptive that way." Elaine took a step closer. "And I understand you're probably seriously confused. You're new, you've been thrown in the middle of everything, and you're as vulnerable as a newborn puppy. So I'm willing, just this once, to help you." 

I glanced cautiously at this new girl. She was surprisingly correct (and a little insulting), but I was willing to let that slide if she was willing to help. 

"How are you going to help me?" I asked. "If you can even help me." 

"Oh, well I might just know how to win over the instructors when you try out." Elaine picked at one of her nails. "A guaranteed good first impression. Something to place you high in their ranks, closer to Connor. And that means you get more opportunities to get higher in your equestrian career." 

I snorted. "What makes you think competing with Connor is at the top of my agenda here?" I asked. Elaine just smiled pitifully.

"I don't think. I know. You can't even ignore him for one morning, and you're about to rush out to compete with him just because he said some stuff that got on your nerves. You're impulsive, and you can't control yourself when you get competitive." Elaine arched an eyebrow. 

It was scary how spot on she was. "Says the person who was chasing after her horse yesterday." I muttered. Elaine just laughed. I looked at her. "Why do you even want to help me anyways? There's no point." 

Elaine gave me a smile. "Like I said, I don't like watching you struggle so hard when you just got here. Also, I'd love to see Connor get knocked off his pedestal for once."