Chapter 14

"Claire! Come on! We're gonna be late!" Maddie yelled. 

"Just a second!" I responded, trying to get my mascara just right. The setting sun signified that the bonfire was gonna start soon. This was probably the only time Maddie was ready before me. 

I smoothed down my hunter green half-sleeved shirt and black capri jeans. I left the bathroom, my hair in a high ponytail that swung with every step I took. Maddie was impatiently tapping her foot as I quickly slipped on a pair of athletic sneakers. I grabbed a small bag that contained my phone and room key and other random things, and Maddie opened the door, practically jumping up and down. 

I had to run to keep up with her while we walked towards the bonfire. It hadn't even been lit yet, and we were still early. She met up with the commitee. Poor Maddie. She had to work with Brooklyn. 

Within about ten minutes, more and more people were starting to show up. I stood alone, even though I could see my friends in sight. 

I glanced towards the person moving toward me, as if I expected him to come over. 

"Hey, nominee." Connor waved and smirked. I sighed. 

"Don't remind me." 

"I'm surprised the new girl got nominated her first year." He looked at me as we stood side by side. It was getting darker by the second, and fireflies had started to glow among us. I smiled. 

"Me too. I don't even know how. Barely anyone knows me." 

Connor looked at me, shocked. "Are you kidding, or are you just that dense? Collins, your name has been everywhere. Everyone's talking about you. I'm actually kinda jealous. It's like you've gone viral, but in real life." 

I shook my head. "You have to be joking." 

"I'm not joking about how many times I hear the words "Claire the cute new girl" everyday. You're kinda popular." 

"And do you agree with them?" I asked him. 

"I mean, well, um, that's a weird question." He said, red spreading across his cheeks. I lightly punched his shoulder. 

"I'm just kidding, God." I laughed as he still tried to talk, clearly flustered. There was a bit of silence as they lit the bonfire. Flames burst upwards, crackling and seeming to try to stretch into the sky. 

"So, why aren't you with Peyton tonight? She looks kinda lonely." 

Connor shrugged and rubbed the back of his neck. "I kinda cut it off with her." 

"Really?" I asked, shocked. 

"She's just, I don't know, not for me. That's actually what I came to ask you-" He got cut off by a loud, obnoxious guy who doesn't understand boundaries. At all. 

"Claire! Claire girl!" Ethan yelled making his way over to us. Connor looked flushed and cleared his throat. "How about this Friday, you, me, and the dance." 

"Sorry, I'm really not interested in going to the dance. With anyone. I'm just being dragged along because of my friends and the nominations. Sorry. I'm not gonna be anyone's 'date'." I folded my arms and focused on the fire. Some people were roasting marshmallows, others were just standing around and talking. With a school, you can't really do much.

"Okay, lemme know if you change your mind!" Ethan walked away. 

"At least he knows how to take no for an answer." I redirected my attention to Connor. "What is it you wanted to ask me?" 

Connor waved his hand. "Oh, it was nothing." And then he muttered. "I think I already got my answer."