Reunions

Kenny let his eyes gravitate to the choked sound, doing a double take as he recognized the dirty face, brown eyes and, most prominently, the freckles he would know from anywhere. He lowered his gun down from its aim as he looked at his son, awe striking him as he relished in seeing what he can only describe as a miracle happening right in front of his eyes.

His son's face was caked in dirt and dried blood, his hair shaved and, while starting to grow again, still looked odd on the son who he remembers never really liked haircuts. He looked tired, stressed, older. He had facial hair, which only reminded Kenny of how much he was missing as a father. His clothes were torn and his body had built up considerable muscle and roughness from the harshness the world forced upon him.

All in all, his son didn't look anything like the boy he remembered and Kenny was wondering if he'd even recognize him in passing had he not had the chance to study Duck's face.

They stared for a moment, halting the argument with shock and an atmosphere that was hard to place, effectively silencing everyone. Clementine pushed Luke out of the way of her view and held onto Duck's arm, making him jump slightly but not look away from his father. She then followed his gaze to where his eyes lay, her eyes going wide but silencing herself even with the shock.

"...Kenny? Do you know them...?" A voice behind the man said but Duck couldn't register the voice. Neither had he register that he was moving until he felt his walk turn into a small sprint and let himself run into Kenny, wrapping his dad into a hug and forcing his arms to squeeze as tight as he possibly could. He squeezed his eyes shut tight, willing the wetness he felt away and burying his face into his dad's shirt, knowing his father would feel the tears soak through when he couldn't keep them from falling anymore.

Kenny was pushed back with the weight of Duck's body crashing into his, soon followed by Clementine's own weight crashing into both of them and making him heave from the impact.

"I'm guessing that's a yes," He heard the same man say, this time registering the voice but not caring less of who he actually was. How could he when his father's scent, warmth and the sound of his heart was so close to him? The amount of times he's dreamt of this situation, the number of days he daydreamed of what he'd say, the amount of times he had lost hope that he'd meet him again and he can't form a single syllable right now for fear his voice would break or he'd sound unintelligible through the tears.

"I thought you were dead..." Duck finally said after finding his courage, his voice shaky and muffled as his whole body shook, tears becoming harder to control as the years of pent up sadness came crawling back up and exploding like the ticking time bomb he knew it was. "I thought I killed you and I thought you didn't make it out and I'm sorry...! I'm so sorry, dad. I never should've been so clumsy and- and I never should've just-done anything! I should've never moved! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to!"

"Duck, what're you goin' on about?" Kenny asked, prying his son's arms off of him, pushing Clementine off in the process and kneeling to his level with his hands on Duck's shoulders in an attempt to console the boy. He then held Duck's face in his hands, the wetness of his tears coating Kenny's palms.

"I thought I killed you and it's my fault and I'm sorry, I'm so sorry! You don't know how much I wanted to take back what happened and how much I wish it was different— how much I wish I was different! I was a stupid kid! And I still am! I wish I-"

"Duck, that's enough. You didn't get me killed so there's no use for these tears," Kenny said, making Duck finally open his eyes and attempt to slow down his crying and breathing to no avail.

"But I—"

"What you did was fall into a building from the roof and lose your footing due to your shoe getting stuck in a crack on that very roof. You weren't stupid, you just obeyed the laws of gravity. I went in and saved you and goddamnit, I'd do it again. Ya know what woulda happened if I didn't?" Kenny asked, looking for a answer that never came from a ruined Duck. "You wouldn't be here and I'm sure you wouldn't want to be dead right now either,"