ONE

Devon Jaiden Cameron was not the girl to fuck with.

"Fuck off, Caleb," she spat his name as she shoved the older boy away from her.

"Come on, Devon. You can't expect me to keep my hands to myself when you're dressed like that," he said, which didn't justify his actions at all, especially adding the fact the only parts of her body showing were her shoulders and above, and her ankles.

"A woman does not have to be modest to be respected, my clothes do not determine my consent. Those words, will never justify your actions. Bother me again, and you'll lose your hand," she said before roughly throwing him to the ground. She noticed her older brother Jared come over and rolled her eyes.

He'll act like he cares in public, yet still won't approach her, nor does he help at home. Devon is still worried about him, regardless of his little to no regard to her.

By the time Devon made it to her second class of the day, AP Biology, she had heard all the gossip about how Jared beat the shit out of Caleb. She ignored it, continuing her day as she had a shit load of class work, homework, and her after school job to pay attention to.

This is regular behavior for the siblings. Someone gets into it with Devon, and she handles it. Later on, Jared will handle it further without saying anything to her. She doesn't care anymore. Devon has no time to dwell on drama, she would rather pay attention to more important things.

Like her illegal boxing match this weekend, which she's hearing will be very beneficial to her. Underground fighting is Devons greatest thrill in life. She's good at it, and it's good income. Her normal job is waitressing at a diner in forks. Her weekend job is her matches. She's a hell of a fighter, and she's strategic. Her 'manager' really helps her get the best matches. If Jared knew, he would be pissed.

But what Jared doesn't know, won't hurt him.

"Hey, Cameron? I heard you're really good at math, can you come help me after school?" Devon hears a voice and turns to see Embry Call. Sweet boy, but he's in with Sam and her brother.

Devon sighs before pulling out her planner and checking it.

"I'm only available today after school until 4:30, then I have to get ready for work. Meet me at my place right after school," she tells him as she shuts her planner and throws it back into her bag. Embry smiles gratefully.

"I'll just ride with you, it's easier," he winks before walking away from her. Devon rolls her eyes as she lets out a small and short laugh, entertained by his behavior. Nearly as soon as it happened, it left her mind. She had to get to Spanish class.

______________________________

"How are you so good at algebra?" Embry asked frustrated as he looked down at his paper.

"Embry, there's a formula. Just figure out where the numbers belong and put it in a calculator," she chuckled before showing him another example, slower with more explanation.

Once he seemed to get it, he managed to finish the examples Devon forced him to do, and his actual homework with little to no questions or complaints.

"The only good thing about math is once you learn something it doesn't change. You just have to practice what you're learning. It's boring and a pain in the ass but grades are so prioritized," Devon rolls her eyes. She checks the time and realizes she's running slightly late.

"You gotta go and I gotta go to work, let's go."

————————————

"Good evening, Chief Swan. Your usual?" Devon greets the man kindly as he walks into the diner, who responds gratefully with a smile.

"Just some coffee, I figured I would stop by before I head to Billy's. Sue is cooking something up for us," he tells her, and she nods with a smile.

"Never pass up a meal from Sue Clearwater," she says as she brings the coffee over to him, causing him to chuckle.

"How's everything, uh, with your dad?" He asks carefully. Devon sighs, setting the coffee down.

"It's the same. Occasionally he'll come home and act like he's a father but really he's trying to steal from us so he can get more drugs and alcohol. I always throw him out," Devon tells him honestly.

"You let me know if it gets too far, or even if he just shows up again. I'll take care of him quick," Charlie tells her seriously.

"Thank you, Chief, but I'm pretty used to it," she says before walking away to check on another table.

"Hi, how can I help you?"

_________________________________

After an exhausting day, Devon finally made it home around 11pm, as the diner was open 24 hours and she had a shift that ran later that day. She sighed as she walked into her home, setting her keys on the kitchen table and dropping her bag into the floor without a care. She still had more homework to do, and should probably eat dinner.

Her shower was quick, and she savored the feeling of the hot water on her skin before she had to get out.

"Fuck a meal," she mutters as she sits down to finish her assignments, a cup of coffee next to her to fuel her caffeine addiction and contribute to her lack of sleep.

She was still sitting at the kitchen table when Jared came in (working at the kitchen table lessens the chance she'll fall asleep). Granted, it was only midnight, but it was irritating nonetheless.

"Did you eat?" Devon asked her older brother, not bothering to look up from her work as he stopped in his tracks.

"I ate at Emily's," he tells her, and Devon sighs.

"Did you do your homework?" She asked him, but he left without another word. Devon sucked in a breath, swallowing the tightness in her throat and fighting back her tears.

When did life get so fucked up?

A/N

Okay short first chapter and the flow sucks but like this is kind of a day in the life for Devon. I started watching shameless again sksksksks so yes their parents are shitty teehee just wait y'all. Thank you for reading this !! It means a lot !! I already like the rewrite way better than the original tbh I'm excited.