TWO

If Devon thought her life couldn't get more fucked up, she was wrong.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" She stops in her tracks in front of her house, staring at the woman she hadn't seen in years. The woman who left her.

Her mother.

"This is your half brother, Anthony," she says, holding out the small bundle in her arms towards her only daughter.

Devon approaches her cautiously, before gently taking the baby into her arms, staring at him in awe.

"How old is he?" She whispers while staring at him. He was sleeping.

"He's almost two months old, and his birthday is the first of January, but he's yours," Devon's head snapped up at those words.

"What are you talking about?" She rushes out harshly.

"My husband and I- we just- we weren't ready like we thought and-"

"When will you be ready? You've had 18 years and this is child number three so please enlighten your daughter on when her mother will be ready to be a fucking parent. Because I cannot raise another kid I am still a fucking child myself and you're dropping my two month old brother on my door step for me to raise," Devon's word were harsh, she was getting heated, her heart was beating like crazy, but she kept her voice even. She didn't want to wake up and probably scare Anthony.

"You just- you're so good at this Devon. You take care of the house and Jared and yourself so well and- and I wish I could but I can't, I just-"

"Leave," Devon couldn't stand it anymore. She couldn't stand the woman in front of her. Wrongfully, she had found herself missing her mother at times. She doesn't miss her mother, she misses having a mother.

"Devon-"

"Leave before I call the police," Devon threatens, and her mother sighs, walking off the porch and to her car, driving away.

Devon waits until the car is gone before she starts crying.

"Oh my fucking god," she whispers before looking down at Anthony. Her baby brother.

"I won't let you down, I can't let you down. I will do everything in my power to raise you as best as possible," Devon whispers as Anthony begins to wake up and she cooes at him:

"Let's go online shopping."

__________________________

Devon learned that babies are fucking expensive, and she's definitely going to need to squeeze a few more matches in this weekend to make up for that, so she called her manager and he promised to do what he could.

Devon had found her old car seat in the garage, thankfully still in very good condition, and installed it for Anthony. Her mother had left her a packet with all of his information, such as insurance information and his birth certificate. Anthony was a calm baby, he instantly took a liking to his big sister.

"Oh my god, what am I supposed to do with you during school?" Devon mutters as she looks at the smiling baby boy.

Needless to say, Devon didn't show up at school the next day, or the rest of the week. Taking care of a baby is a lot of work. She can't bring him to school and as important as her education is to her, Anthony is her priority now. She can always get a GED later.

"Do you wanna go to the beach before I have to work? Yeah? Okay, Tony lets go," she says gently before grabbing her things and getting them into the car.

The ride to the beach was short and it was a warm afternoon. The sun was out for once, making it a beautiful Saturday afternoon. Devon figures a walk on the beach and sitting in the sand and sun would be better than being cooped up in the house.