Prologue:

I stepped down from the school bus.

I observed the building in front of me as students pushed past me to get through. I slung my back over my shoulder with a sigh.

A fresh start, meaning friends, enemies and, and, bullies. Great, just what I needed. I looked down at my appearance which I hoped wouldn't give the mean girls a chance to bully me.

My scarlet hair was in a ponytail slung over one shoulder with a black scrunchie. I was wearing a white full sleeved shirt with a yellow skirt that went down to my knees and black flats. A bracelet with butterflies was wrapped around my wrist.

I started walking towards the school building. And with every step I took, I tried my best to not get noticed.

To my luck, I managed to get inside without getting noticed. The halls were painted a calming grey color. The lockers were a contrasting mint blue. I turned to face the notice board. There were a lot of things pinned on it. In the centre was the school map.

Beside it was the list of new students. There was mine, under Ethan Benson.

I navigated my way to the office and reached a white door with a board that had the word 'Office' written in bold letters. I took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

"Come in"

I opened the door and peeked inside. A young woman was sitting at a mahogany desk. She had short brown hair in a messy braid and green eyes that twinkled with kindness.

She looked up at gave me a warm smile. I returned it.

She opened a drawer and rummaged through it. Her forehead ceased as she muttered "Dammit, where did I put it?"

I stood there for a moment as she opened some drawer and searched them. Finally, she pulled out a yellow file and raised it in the air "Found you."

I found that quite adorable.

She opened the file and looked at me "Cadance Colins, yes?"

I nodded.

"I'm Judy Carter, the principal, although there is no need to be afraid of me. Please, take a seat" She gestured towards the leather couch. The description she gave of herself, it sounded like she has to say that to every new kid so they're not afraid of her.

I sat down, placing my black backpack in my lap. She spoke into an intercom "Miss King, please report to the office."

After a few minutes, a girl walked in.

She had long blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes. She was wearing a black top, jeans and ankle heel boots. The black contrasted greatly with her fair rosy skin.

She looked around the office until her eyes landed on me.

She squinted "You're the girl. I was waiting for you!"

"Ahem" Ms. Carter cleared her throat.

The girl looked at her and smiled sheepishly "Sorry, principal."

She waved her hand in a dismissing gesture "It's fine. Now, Cadance, this is Anastasia. She'll be your partner to guide you."

I stood up to greet her.

"Right" She started "Anastasia, Ana for short."

I nodded at her "Cadance, Cady for short."

"Cadance, I like that name!" She squealed "Isn't she a princess in My Little Pony!?"

I laughed, which was a rare thing I did, "Yeah. Though I haven't watched much of that show."

"It's fine" She grabbed my arm "Come on, I'll show you around before classes start."

***

By now, Ana had showed me all the classes, the library and labs.

Right now, we were at our lockers. Fortunately, hers was just beside mine.

My eyes landed on a girl. The typical mean girl.

She had long brown hair and tanned skin. She was wearing tight beige shorts and a yellow crop top that had an awfully low neckline. Her face was caked with makeup, heavy makeup.

"That's Nadia Garrison, the second prettiest girl in this school," Ana said. She pointed at another blonde "That's Grace Wallers, the first prettiest girl. She dates one guy, dumps him after a few weeks, and moves on to another guy."

My eyes wandered around aimlessly until they landed on a boy.

He was leaning against a locker, his arms crossed. He had copper hair and amber eyes. He was wearing a black leather jacket over a white shirt and jeans with converse shoes. He was cute...... and hot. He gave off a bad boy type of vibe.

"That is Sam Carter, son of the Alvin Carter-"

"Alvin Carter, you mean that man who owns a car company?"

"Yep, he's the baddest boy in this school. He doesn't smoke or do drugs but he's a bad boy. He has all the girls swooning over him and he hasn't dated any one of them." Ana said, sighing dreamily.

"Yeah. I can understand why all the girls swoon over him."

***

I quietly closed the door behind me as I stepped inside my room.

I was lucky Mother and Father weren't home. Beatrice and Brian were still home though.

I put my bag on the desk in the corner of my room. It was simple. The walls were pale red and there was a wooden bed pushed up against one wall. With the other wall stood a chest of drawers. In the corner was my desk. On the wall that the bed was pushed up against was a window that gave me a good view of the night sky and city from the attic aka, my room.

I opened a drawer and pulled out a red sweater and black sweatpants. I changed into them and folded the ones I was wearing previously, putting them inside the drawer.

I was just about to sit down on my bed when the door slammed open, revealing an enraged Brian.

Brian was my tall, abusive brother. He was muscular, which already tells you that he's arrogant. He had ashy blonde hair and brown eyes.

"Did you take my console!?" He growled.

"No, I didn't" I said, my voice shaking "I promise." I knew what the consequences would be. I get hit all the time, even when it's not my fault.

He marched over to me and grabbed my hair with a painful jerk. I yelped as he did that.

"Are you sure?" He hissed.

I nodded "I didn't, I swear-"

I didn't get to finish as he slapped me across the face "Liar!" Tears welled in my eyes. I was used to all of this. I had grown a tough skin, but it would still hurt.

He threw me backwards. I closed my eyes, feeling my back hit the wall.

At least it was more welcoming than my family.

"I don't know how we got you or how mom didn't get an abortion, you pathetic excuse for a human. You're a mistake!"

Mistake, that word would hurt every time. I was called a mistake. That none of them had planned an another child.

"Mother and Father will deal with you once they come back" He spat. I curled up into a small ball, my back against the wall. I heard his footsteps go out and sound of him slamming the door shut.

"No" I whispered, tears slipping from my eyes, once I was sure he went out of the room "Not Mother and Father."

Anything but Mother and Father.

Hey guys!

Here's the prologue.

How was it?

And if you have any theories you'd like to share, I'd love to hear them!

I've never written about abuse before so this was new for me.

Constructive criticism is appreciated! Although I'd be more happy if you pointed them out nicely.

Bye!