Useless

Okay first, I want to dedicate this chapter to @Ebonycrehan and @BestMom60 for amazing feedback and votes. Thank you very much for commenting because it really helps me get into the mind of the reader and understand what you guys are feeling.

I also feel the need to clarify a few things. Firstly, the time era is medieval themed; but because it is in a fictional land I feel it doesn't have to strictly follow medieval codes of conduct because it is in fact fiction. I'm doing research and adding my own flair to the setting so it will remain a historical fiction story but loosely medieval. I hope that is okay with everyone. Secondly, I will not admit to being a professional writer because this book was essentially a spur of the moment thing so it really surprised and humbled me when people actually liked it. That being said, I asked for feedback and some were constructive while other times some have made it slightly disheartening, so please just be kind when it comes to constructive feedback. Lastly, their personalities are going to clash at first because they are both strong willed, sorry but they're not going to be automatically in love and making out a few chapters after they meet, I want to depict a growing bond. Again, I hope that is okay with people. :-) Thank you everyone for reading, now back to Armor.

Isabella rolled her eyes, "Nothing, absolutely nothing."

***

After further examination, the elderly lady decided that Isabella would be able to leave bed rest after one more night of rest. Isabella, anticipating the next day, went to bed earlier than usual.

As Isabella rested peacefully, Aiden, frustrated, rode outside of the gates of Hartha as he had before. He rode to the same spot by the river bank. The sun began to set. The stubborn last bit of light that pushed through the thin tree branches reflected off of the clear blue of the river and danced playfully in swift current.

He thought back to last time he was there and what happened. Aiden shook his head; half in amusement, half in annoyance. "She threatened me. Not a thank you but a threat! Yet she thanks James." He ran a hand through his hair and turned to his horse. "Ha! She even really believes that she is a knight too; just because she wore a little armor. Women." He paused and reconsidered. "No, she is far from the average woman. Lord, now I am talking to a horse." He shook his head and patted his horse. After surveying the area one more time, he hopped onto his horse and rode back to the gates of Hartha. As his horse trotted he felt himself relaxing; there was something about that riverbank.

The grassy plain gave way to a dusty trail. Nearing a few hundred yards away from the gates, he happened to notice a panicked shout. A woman and a man were being held by what appeared to be refugees. There was no way he would have had the element of surprise on his side this time around.

He sent his horse into a full out sprint but before he could prevent it, the refugees decapitated both the man and woman. He yelled, outraged at the scene and spurred his horse on faster, so badly wanting the blood of those brutal murders.

He reached the sight and a dust cloud shot up, swiftly blinding him for a moment as the refugees fled.

He wiped his teary eyes and considered chasing them down until he glanced down at the lifeless forms sprawled out on the dusty ground. The sun abandoned the sky and the heat left the air as a sudden wind picked up. Goose bumps covered his cold skin and his stoic face set into a deep frown. Aiden sent a prayer up for the souls of the innocent people who died a senseless death.

He looked around for anyone else and noticed how dark the sky suddenly was. It was almost as if it reflected his own mood. Dark and stormy it was. He bent down and picked up a form trying his very best to hold in his sickness from it all. He wanted to yell, he wanted to scream, he wanted to go hunt the refugees, but the most he could do was put the bodies in the carriage and take them to the coroner. Aiden, now covered in blood, carried the woman over and placed her lifeless form into the carriage. Only the sound of his labored breathing and his horse's quiet neighs interrupted the silence of the night.