The Leap

Prince Eric just smirked a little in understanding, "Oh pray tell."

"You would think the woman would thank me, but no... she goes and thanks the lad for saving her. The chit even had the gall to threaten me!"

Eric laughed and muttered to himself, "Well she hasn't changed a bit."

Aiden glared at his best friend and ran his hand through his hair.

"Hey, pray don't look at me like that. 'Tis just that..." He shook his head, "nevermind. How about you get rested and we will talk to father in the morn." He noticed the dawning outside of the chamber window "Or should I say in a few of hours."

Aiden nodded and Eric exited the chamber, firmly shutting the door behind himself. He laid down on the silky blankets and stared at the ceiling. Pictures of angels were painted into it. Aiden noticed how peaceful their faces were and how they were surrounded by white fluffy clouds. Their wings were spread out, and joyful smiles played on their lips. He started to drift into a restless slumber, the last thing he saw was the smile of an angel. Strangely enough, he dreamt of Isabella.

****

Isabella's sword fell uselessly to the ground. As she went to reach for it, her slim hand was stepped on. She cried out in pain and glanced up to see the silhouette of a tall man with jagged scar down his face. He raised his sword above his head ready to make the lethal blow, and terror took the scream right out of her throat. The sword started to descend and she closed her eyes when she abruptly heard a grunt. Isabella glanced up and saw the tall man glancing down at his chest in utter surprise. She saw the bloody tip of a sword sticking out of his chest just as blood began to trickle from his lips. She just barely managed to roll out of the way as his body crashed down. She was struggling to rise when she noticed a tan hand outstretched ready to assist her. She looked upwards expecting to see her father but instead saw a pair of hazel eyes. She woke up gasping for breath scared out of her wits. She glanced around and realized it was only a dream. She shakily pushed her brown hair out of her face and laid back. It seemed so real. Those hazel eyes, where have I.... She groaned. Aiden. She took a moment to think back to their encounter. That swine accused me of impersonating a knight. I will have to show him, then again, him underestimating me could work in my favor. She laid back down and smiled this time dreaming of her victory over a certain hazel eyed knight.

The next time she woke up, it was to the sound of her father and Gardian knights conversing.

"Sir, do you think he killed them?"

Who are they talking about? She wondered. She peaked over her covers and saw that it was barely past dawn.

William replied, "I do not know Edwin. I would not put it past a Jarian, but Aiden saved Bella and I from refugees, so it could have truly been them instead."

Isabella sat up still wrapped tightly in a blanket. "What is going on?"

William looked sheepishly at his daughter, "Hello dear, sorry to wake you." Isabella shook her head indicating she was already awake. After that dream, sleep seemed very much like a non factor anyway. She dozed restlessly for the remainder of the night, but never quite returned to the land of slumber.

She suddenly smiled so brightly, that William, for a moment, was at a loss for words. "Father, James said I could get up today! I want to try now, will you assist me?" William nodded, and sent the guards out of the chamber. He turned and allowed her to don her light plate over her thin linen white blouse she borrowed from the elderly lady.

He helped her swing her legs over the bedside ever so slowly, just to where her toes barely grazed the wooden floor. After not standing for so long, William was weary of letting her rush and stand but instead choose to take most of her weight as she eased up. He acted as her human crutch. "How are you feeling? Any pain from your back?" He studied her face for any signs of discomfort.