Understanding

"What?!" Everyone asked confused.

Isabella balled her fists. "I am going home."

Charles spoke "What about the The Official Meeting?"

He was cut off by William, "Finally we can return home."

Aiden crossed his arms frowned at Isabella, when Eric said, "Hold on what does the letter say?"

Isabella sighed and began to read. "Bella, Lord knows I miss you. Seems as if Hazel does not know how to function without you around either." Isabella paused smiling and Aiden continued to frown. "Things have changed around here Bella. Baldwin has been making decrees, changing everything. The people think they are ordained by King William. The decrees raised taxes," Isabella felt even angrier, "stopped women's dining at the table and halted knightly wages. I fear the people resent you now. The fact that more people have been banished as refugees makes sentiment even worse. I felt inclined to reluctantly believe him until I saw the letter sent by King William. It clarified that he has had no contact with Baldwin since you left the castle. Hazel and I also know about the attack and we hope you are okay. I fear the Jarians are not our immediate problem Bella. I hope you both return soon, but be careful because the people of Gardia no longer support their monarchy." Isabella looked at her father. "With Regards, Henry."

The Jarians and knights stared at the Gardian royalty who stared at each other in what seemed to be silent communication. Edwin spoke up, "Something does need to be done; however just riding back could put you both in danger. I cannot allow that to happen."

Isabella crossed her arms still staring at her father, "Both of us would not be put into danger because I am going alone."

William and Aiden shouted, "No you will not!" They glared at each other before glaring at Isabella.

"Yes I am. You are injured father, too weak to ride horseback and too vulnerable. I will go faster alone."

"Do you not realize the danger you put yourself in? A whole nation resents you! They could be willing to do anything to end you. This Baldwin chap also sounds very sneaky."

"He had us fooled." Isabella spat, "But this is a risk I am willing to take Aiden. Besides, how dangerous can it be? I came here, to another place filled with people who hate my country and I and yet here I stand." She motioned to herself.

"You do not understand! How are you so nonchalant about this?!" Aiden growled storming out of the room.

Isabella sighed staring in the direction he went. In walked Luke fed and happy despite the tension in the room. Before he could greet anyone William spoke, "Isabella, how do we know this is not some misunderstanding? Henry is young and could be unsure. That letter was sent to Baldwin, how could Henry have gotten it?!"

Isabella was silent, unsure of an explanation. Luke's small voice rang out, "I gave the parchment to a tall knight who said he would give it to Sir Baldwin. The knight said Sir Baldwin was weary of 'angry villagers' and unwilling to meet anyone not official. I-I am sorry if I have done wrong Sir." He bowed his head, all initial happiness gone.

Mary soothed the boy, "You have done nothing wrong son. You followed orders 'tis all. Have you eaten and bathed?" Luke nodded. "Come, we shall go to the kitchen for a pastry then to bed you go." She grabbed the lad's hand and led him out of the room.

"Father, you must understand. We do not have the time to wait until you are well enough to deal with this. As future queen--"

"As future queen you need to be alive in order to become one!" He interrupted. "I am your father and still your king and you will obey my orders."