"Dropped Off"

Mum was driving her car, it was a long drive to New York City. Mum and Dad got divorced when I was eight, it's been a decade since I last saw my dad. All I knew was he worked at the Plaza Hotel as the Concierge. I was listening to David Bowie on my Walkman, it was a cd I was given from my grandmother for my birthday a few years back. I was just sitting in the backseat not talking to my mother. As soon as I saw the tall buildings of New York, I turned my music off and I stared out the window.

"Yay. You're not living in your own little world anymore. Now talk to me."

"What is there to say?"

"Well, 'hi Mum!' 'are you ok Mum?!' There's a lot of things to say to your own mother!"

"What's there to say after you said I was a worthless disappointment to the familiy before we left this morning."

"You know what!? You are worthless! Just like your father! You're just like him, his eyes and hair, the accent, sometimes I can't stand looking at you!"

That cut me like a knife real deep. She wouldn't last one day without being abusive of some sort. Then, she stopped  in front of the Plaza. She took out her credit card.

"Go check in for us. We'll see your father at the front desk while we're here."

I got out of the car and went into the hotel. I walked to the front desk. There was an old red headed lady.

"May I help you?" She asked.

"I want to check in for me and my mother, she's just outside."

"Alright. What's the last name?"

"Hector."

"You're Mr. Hector, the concierge's kid aren't you?"

"Yes."

"He tells us so much about you! You know what? We'll give you and your mother a room for free, compliments of the Plaza."

"Thanks. I was gonna pay with my mother's credit card."

"No need. Cedric!"

A bellboy walked to us.

"Yes ma'am?"

"Go help her and her mother with her bags."

"Yes ma'am."

We walked outside. My mother's car was gone. Leaving my two suitcases behind.

"What's wrong?" Cedric asked.

"She left me. My Mum practically dumped me here."

I didn't even cry because that is so like her! It's not the first time she dumped me, my aunt's and uncles and grandparents. They always bring me back to Mum.

"Let me get your bags."

Cedric picked up both suitcases and brought them inside.

He told the lady what happened.