01| Someone Else

Emily Rose

It was finally spring break and the air couldn't have been more clearer.

Parker and I were finally home after a long year of our senior year in college.

We still had to go back but it doesn't matter, it's still the last spring break we'll have before we have to enter the real world as full grown adults.

I still felt a pinch of sadness in my heart when I think about it.

That's me.

Parker... well, he's the opposite.

Yesterday, our old school decided to hold a bonfire to celebrate spring break. Parker and I were sitting in the back of his pickup truck, soda cans in our hands.

Parker couldn't stop talking about what he was going to do after college, or what he likes to call it "the shithole."

He was talking opening some business or whatever, I wasn't really paying attention. I was too busy staring at Tomas McCoy, some guy that used to go to high school with us until he decided to go to Nebraska for college. Many said that he had a crush on me, but I wasn't really paying attention at that time.

He stood next to the snack table, talking to a couple guys I didn't know. He had a bright smile on his face, his blond hair blew to the side from the wind. He wore a loose light blue shirt and a pair of jeans.

"Ugh, please don't tell me your not making googly eyes at Peter Pan?" Parker groaned, breaking me out of my trance. "Polar Bear,  you can do so much better than that."

Before I could think, my hand smacked his shoulder as he sat besides me, "stop it, okay." Parker gags and I laugh, "okay, look he's nice and kind and..." I dragged on, a smile on my lips.

"And... what?" Parker asked, bringing his opened soda can to his lips and taking a drink.

"And... hot, I guess, I don't know." I joked.

It was pure irony for myself, because the only person I could ever find hot was sitting beside me, drinking his soda.

Parker laughed, "oh, please. Yeah and I'm a fucking duck."

I laughed, too. "Oh, come on. Don't do that. He is. Okay?!"

Parker shakes his head and laughs again.

I scoff. "Serious. I'm being serious, okay." Parker kept on laughing, making the butterflies in my stomach to start to flutter around, I began to stare at Tomas some more. "Tomas McCoy is so hot, I'd probably love to lose my virginity to him." I joke around but right when I said that Parker's voice died.

That's when I actually turn towards Parker instead of watching him from the corner of my eye.

His smiling face has turned dark and emotionless. The now empty soda can is now crushed in his hands as if was nothing but simple paper.

"Parker?" I reach out to him but he moves away.

"No, no, Emily Rose. You can't do that, you can't give it to him, not him. I swear... I-" Parker stared out of space for a while before hopping off the back of the truck. "I'm goin' go get some more soda." He muttered under his breath before walking away from me and never returning until it was time to go.

I looked back up to where Tomas was to find him staring at me, his hazel-green eyes were bright as he smiled.

I brought my hand up and waved at him. In which he waved back.

Maybe... Tomas is hot.

*****

"OW! Okay! Okay! Okay!" I yelped as the curling iron burned my head.