Pray for Answers

Michael walked into the AC garage at the training facility. It was empty. Strange, for this time of day. The ACs were still there, but there was also a new one. It looked almost exactly like Stayed's schematics. On closer inspection, it wasn't just built like Strayed, it was Strayed. "Something catch your eye, Mr. Sharps?" Mr. Bryant, founder of Global Cortex, stood by the base of the AC. 

    "Mr. Bryant; that is an old world AC. How did you-? Where did you-?"
    "Find it? I've had it for a long time." Bryant smiled. "And you can call me Elijah if you want." Michael stared at Bryant for a long time.
    "You...you can't be? The 31st LYNX." Bryant nodded. "But...Old King shot you." 
     "He did indeed. I don't know why some live and other's die." He put a hand on Strayed's foot. "Wynne said it best. Life is a treasure." Michael's head swam with so many questions. 
     "But why Cortex? You could have become the wealthiest person here. Even without the Primal Armor, a NEXT can work over a half dozen modern Cores." Bryant shook his head.
    "I guess it was my own quest. You don't know it yet; you haven't been out there, in the trenches." Bryant reached into his pocket and pulled out an old scrap of metal. It was etched with the ORCA flag on it, but on the flip side was the Cortex logo. "Global Cortex needed someone to help it off the ground. It needed someone who knew the flaws in the old Collard system, and also what things worked best at governing these "
    "But-"
    "And I was the one that pushed to have Kojima generators banned. ACs are dangerous enough without the ability to decimate an entire Layer." Bryant toyed with the metal in his hands. "It was about time I started saving lives, rather than taking them." Michael put his head down. "I'm here to offer you something, if you'd like." Bryant motioned towards his NEXT. "I have a AC mod that simulates the AMS without causing the physical strain on the pilot. I've installed it in Strayed, but I'd like to give it to you as well." 
    Michael looked up at the machine. "Thank you...but I can't accept that." Bryant locked eyes with him. 
     "What?"

     "I won't accept it. Why would you give this up, only to force it on me?" Bryant opened his mouth, but nothing came out. "How can you ignore all that is going on? You could have changed something! We are no better now than when the League was in charge." Bryant's face twisted with a number of emotions, before finally settling on amused.
    "Oh? You think you have what it takes to change the world? Do you have all the answers? I pray that you do, because some of these questions don't have a single answer." Bryant returned the piece of metal to his jacket then glanced over at Michael's Core. "I'm not sure why you think the way you do. But I did change something. I'm not running from my choices. I'm running with them. I've left you a little something in your Core. We'll be in touch." Bryant pushed a button and Strayed descended back underneath the garage. 
    "I will change the world. I have the guts to finish what you started!" Bryant stopped. He didn't turn so Michael couldn't see his smile. Bryant muttered under his breath and held up a hand as a part gesture.
     "This kid has guts. He might just be the Raven we need." He walked towards the door and glanced at Selena, who was waiting out of sight. "Help him along, yes? Don't let him get himself killed to quickly." Selena nodded and walked towards Michael.

    Michael climbed into his Core. Inside was a letter, as well as an old metal coin. Michael sat in the cockpit and looked at the letter. "You did well. Your progress may not have been the best, but you never gave up. I like that about you. We may not see eye to eye about everything, but I hope that you will do what you think is best. You are the master of your own future. I will continue living out our motto, Elijah 'Bryant' Grant." The coin was unique. On one side, Global Cortex's Logo was carved. The other side was blank, waiting to see what allegiances Michael would make. 
     "Hey, Michael." Micheal jumped at his name and climbed out of the Core. Selena stood at his Core's feet. "Good to see you again." Michael smiled. 
     "Good to see you, too. Damn; do I have a story for you."