CHAPTER 23 : The Scapegoat*

Florina slowly opened her eyes to find herself in the darkness once more. 

They were still in the realm of the wandering souls enveloped by its pitch blackness and the howls of its tortured souls only the screams were growing louder and louder every minute.

She woke up to the arguing of the three beings and no one noticed the witch who regained her consciousness. When she shifted in Rose's arms, the fairy stopped at once. 

She tried to hold her closer to her chest but felt her hands getting weaker around her. Davies turned and saw her tired silhouette feeling helpless. He couldn't help either of them. 

As a ghost, he could only touch Rose and Augustus but not Florina. If the witch indeed fell to the abyss, they won't have any other choice but watch in anger.

Rose whispered softly, "Florina, are you alright?"

"Yes." Florina replied simply. She was shuddering in her fairy's arms, cold and exhausted from the continuous energy drain.

She got closer to Rose's ears and whispered "I had a vision of Augustus and Stella. The same vision I had three days ago but more detailed."

The fairy didn't seem that interested in that piece of information. 

She held Florina tighter, "We need to find an opportunity to escape. I feel we are getting weaker by the minute and—"

Agrippa's head shot up at once when he heard the fairy's whispers. He wasn't going to let them leave, not while he had them both in his grasp. He was filled with anger and hatred towards the fairy and her kind. He felt the need to take revenge.

He immediately jumped in, "After I finished my years of punishment, by a happy coincidence I found out that our Overlord Lucifer was looking all over for Stella and surprisingly the book too. And when Stella told me of her plan to use the book to gain her freedom, I immediately went to Our Lord."

 "You see, after I was thrown in Hell, I needed to get on our Overlord's good side. He was extremely disappointed in me. Now imagine how he would reward me if I went back to him and gave him Evilingston's book along with Stella."

Florina started panting heavily feeling her eyes getting drowsier by the minute. Agrippa didn't notice that however and sighed continuing his story.

"Before I went to our Lord however, I made up a story to get Stella to stay in the cabin. I told her I couldn't see anything in the book and had to get my glasses. I convinced her to wait for me until I find them. Once I was sure she is staying, I immediately went to our Overlord and told him of her location. I also told him she has the book that he was searching for."

Florina turned to look at Rose worried that her yellowish glow diminished even further. Every second they were wasting, she wanted to escape with Rose. 

But the more Agrippa revealed his secrets, the more intrigued she got. 

He was true about one thing, she was indeed very curious to know more no matter what situation she was in.

"Once our Overlord found out about this, he was thrilled and thanked me for informing him."

"He of course asked how Stella found the book. That's when my brother's turn came to be punished. He betrayed our Overlord after all," Agrippa turned to his brother and smirked "I told him he helped Stella in finding the book. My dear brother you should know that Agrippas shouldn't let any Evilingston read the book let alone have it."

"You are a traitor Augustus!" Davies exclaimed "You care for no one but yourself. You don't even care about your Overlord Lucifer. You only betrayed us because you feared his fury. And why does it matter that an Evilingston reads the book anyways. You know they won't be able to find the treasure. No one was able to for centuries, what difference would it have made if Stella read it?"