Underground Love

A drop of water struck the scar tissue over James’ right eye. He clenched it tight. In the closeness of the tunnel’s pitch black, he focused on the sound of Ebru’s voice. Like the brush strokes of a painting, the silky undertones of her Armenian tongue transported him to an ancient Kingdom populated by beings of light.

She halted her story—the tale of an ancient tree sprung from the center of an ocean.

James felt her shudder, despite the distance between them. “What is it? Don’t stop. I want to hear more.”

“How do you fish these stories from me? Stories I haven’t heard since I was a girl listening to my father speak them as if they were true.”

“My voice is ugly. There’s good reason for me to dwell underground. Not you.”

“I’m only noticed down here, with you.”

“Most men are blind and stupid.”

Ebru drew a ragged breath.

James couldn’t tolerate her tears. He inched across the darkness.

She didn’t shy from him.

“I would love you as you deserve, if I were younger, less damaged.” He took her hand in his. “Know that I love you like a father would his only daughter.”

She leaned into him.

The heat of her tears soaked into his sleeve.

Stone grating across stone echoed in the distance. Next came the slog of wet boots stepping out of the wash trough and down the steps. Ebru sprang to her feet.

James crouched at the ready, clenching his fists. The old man hadn’t announced the entry. That meant unwanted guests.