October Dawn

“I’m sorry.” Kered shed tears for the first time since his father’s death. He’d forgotten what it felt like to care for his fellow human.

“Come. The sun is rising.” Ebru knelt over James’ body a final time before leading Kered quickly toward the Eighth Street exit.

The sound of song intensified until Kered recognized the words. “Where have all the good men gone? And where are all the gods? Where’s the street-wise Hercules to fight the rising odds?” The lyrics continued in the same vein, praising storybook heroics. Kered felt both grief and pride in the events of the last several hours. Monty’s actions had indeed been heroic. Kered regretted his inability to embody the heroics in tandem with his fearful nature.

Ebru quietly led him into the basement of a grocery, up a narrow stair, through a closet, into the lobby of a dingy hostel and finally outside into an open square.

After the endless pitch black, Kered emerged into the comparative radiance of a grey October dawn. Overwhelmed by the expanse of fresh air, he cast his gaze skyward and watched the dimly lit belly of a cloud slide past.

“Kered? About time you show up. I was beginning to think you’d missed your first match in months.”

Kered lowered his gaze. “Sebastian?” Slowly, Kered realized it was Sunday morning—the morning of his weekly backgammon match with the kindly farmer who’d hosted his stay in Idaho. “Of course. So sorry to have made you wait.”

“No problem. I’ve made a new friend.” Sebastian gestured toward a gentleman sitting across the backgammon board from him. “Meet Nicholas Ivory. He’s a traveling musician with some truly unique song writing skills.”

Kered shook Mr. Ivory’s hand. “Were you just singing a song about heroics?”

“You liked that one?”

Kered nodded. “Oh, where are my manners. Let me introduce my compatriot.” He turned around to locate Ebru, but the girl had gone. “Oh, um…”

“Didn’t you bring Monty this morning?” Sebastian asked. “He would have loved these interlocking wooden blocks Mr. Ivory has given me.”

Kered pulled out a chair and sat. “I’m sorry, Monty was unexpectedly called back to England. Queen’s duty, I’m afraid.”

“And I didn’t even get to say goodbye?”

“Quite urgent business. But enough of all that. Show me these blocks you mentioned.”

Mr. Ivory scattered several wooden blocks across the table.

Sebastian pointed out their highlights. “He says he’s been looking for some partners to fund an operation that would make them from plastics. Weren’t you just talking about the bright future of plastic the other day?” Sebastian continued without waiting for a response.

Kared nodded and smiled. Occasionally, he cast furtive glances toward passing women. But none of them were the young Ebru. After a lifetime of pursuing the empty promise of the tree of life, he’d finally seen it. He’d come within feet of possessing it. In that moment, he’d been exposed as a phony and a highwayman.

Now, with Monty gone, he’d have to make his own way. He needed a new vision. Maybe these lego blocks Sebastian seemed so excited about were exactly what he needed. “Indeed!” He smiled at the diminutive farmer and laughed. “These interlocking blocks sound like quite the opportunity. Let’s continue the discussion over a game of backgammon, shall we?”

END