Twins

James threw the first punch. Eyes closed, he felt an intruder’s nose flatten beneath his knuckles. He spun to catch the second man in the gut, but his fist whiffed through thin air.

“Quick and without warning, like a soldier.” 

James aimed a kick at what he figured to be the family jewels of a British-sounding gentleman. A talon-like grip clutched his leg and flung him heels over head.

“For the love of free silver! Cease your assault!” A muffled voice echoed off the walls as the man with the broken nose spoke through his fingers.

James pushed himself up from the floor of the tunnel. “Who are you and what do you want at 3am in my tunnels?”

“Your tunnels?” The man with the British accent struck a match, lit a pipe and puffed it until its glow revealed his face—framed by wild, white hair.

James started at the presence of a third man, shoulder to shoulder with the white-hair. “Three?”

“You only heard two, did you, son?” The second British gentleman’s features were identical to the first, save his flagrant mutton chops crowned by a neat bowler. “My brother and I have been known to move in sync as if one soul.”

James inched closer to Ebru, sheltering her from the strangers. “Your business?”

“Indeed. Sorry for the abrupt entrance. Due to my noisy chum, West Westerly, the one with the blood gushing between his fingers—”

James raised a fist. “Your business.”

“I’m Montgomery Ryman. This unkempt and uncouth fellow is my twin brother, Kered McLeavittson.”

The wild, white haired man puffed queer-smelling smoke from his pipe.

“Our business, if I’m not mistaken, is with you.”

James shook his head as if shaking off a bad memory. “You’re mistaken.”

“Then you’re not the curator of these tunnels? One Sergeant James Edwards?”

James jolted at the title. Before he could deny the truth, the gentle lilt of song swayed the attention of everyone in the cramped underground chamber. James focused involuntarily on the distant words.

“Take it easy, take it easy. Don’t let the sounds of your own wheels drive you crazy.”