5 > Poussey Washington

Creds:@thefanficnewbie on tumblr x

What is this about? Poussey and you discuss her house at Hogwarts. It turns out to be actually way harder than you thought!
Spoilers? Yep, mild ones for season two!
Warnings? Nah, not really! Well, except for overload of adorableness from Poussey, that pure angel <3

While I am totally in love with Poussey, once there are no actually romantic interactions in this drabble, I'm categorizing it as platonic!

"Nah... C'mon, man, you can't be serious." The young woman kicked the blankets off her legs and sat straighter with her back against the wall, an expression of disbelief on her face. "No fucking way I'm a Hufflepuff."
"Think about it." You sat down beside her, pointing at the sheet of paper in your hand, now filled with scribbles, lists, and graphics about the four houses of Hogwarts. "It makes total sense."
"Yo, I know you're a die-hard Potterhead and shit," Poussey shot an unimpressed look at the writings "but I'm a big fan too and my house is one of the few things I know for sure in my life."
"Then maybe it's time to start rethinking your life, P." You replied, hiding a smile.
"Uh, no." She shook her head slightly. "I'm a Gryffindor, always have been, always will be." She brought her hand to her chest, the pride almost shining in her eyes. You resisted the urge to laugh. "Besides, Hufflepuff's boring. Who'd ever wanna be one of 'em?" That got the smile off your face.
"Who told you that?" You frowned at her, a hint of irritation in your voice. There was a lot of misconception about the houses, and it really annoyed you how so many fans would 'worship' Gryffindor and completely ignore the other three - that is, when they weren't hating on Slytherin.
"Everyone knows that! Gryffindor's brave, Slytherin's mean, Ravenclaw's nerd and Hufflepuff's... nice. That's why there ain't none of 'em in prison."

You took a deep breath. 'It's not her fault, it's not her fault, it's not her fault-'

"Ok. Let's review all that." You said through gritted teeth, earning a cautious look from Poussey. "Gryffindor is brave, yes. Slytherin, though, they're just ambitious, not mean. Ravenclaw is curious and authentic. Hufflepuff is loyal, kind and hard-working!" You summarized with a smile.
It really wasn't her fault. All the books were, more or less, from Harry's perspective, who was a proud Gryffindor, and offered little to no insight into what the other houses were all about. Poussey had only become a fan after getting into Litchfield, thus having somewhat limited fandom knowledge.
Well, time to change that!, you thought.
And so you did.
"Damn." Poussey breathed, still processing all the new information. "My whole world is a lie." She whispered. You raised an amused eyebrow. "My whole world is a lie." She repeated, louder this time, her face turning into a panicked expression "Why'd you that? I had all this shit figured out and now I'm back to square one!"
"Sheesh, dude!" You chuckled and nudged her with your shoulder. "'Ts why I'm here."
"Thanks, man." She grinned. "But I'm still no Hufflepuff!"
"Oh, come on!" You exclaimed exasperatedly and seriously considered banging your head against the wall. What in the world would convince this girl? "You've got every trait! Loyalty, kindness, modesty, dedication... I mean, you took a beating because you cared so much about your friends when Vee was here, remember?"
"Yo, know who else take beatings for their friends and what they believe in? GRYFFINDORS!" She yelled, jumping to her feet in her usual adorable excitement, a smug smile on her lips. "You said it yourself!"
"I-" You tried to argue, but couldn't come up with a good counter-argument. "Okay, you've got a point there-" Poussey's cheeky grin and little happy dance interrupted your reluctant answer. "But," you continued, rolling your eyes, "kindness and hard work are totally you."
She stopped and turned to you with a confused expression.
"Uh, hard work? Where y'all seeing hard work?"
"Dude, that library only works 'cause of you."
"What? Most of you don't even go in there, there ain't much to do..." She shrugged, hands thrown into her pockets.
"And there you've got the modesty!" You gave her a satisfied smirk and earned an annoyed scoff in return. "Plus, you make us booze. Friendship and dedication, huh?"
"Don't bring my booze into this." She sat back down beside you, her tone hilariously serious. "And that'd be considered Ravenclaw-ish behavior, by the way. Creativity and shit, right?"
"In a way, yeah." You looked at her in mild astonishment. Poussey was getting good at this. And Ravenclaw did make sense in that context. "Geez, you're quite the book-lover and ya always tryna invent new stuff... I'm getting some Raven-vibes off of that."
"Sweet! Then I'm a Ravenclaw!" She grinned, leaning back on the wall with her hands behind her head, her legs crossed in a triangle (like men usually do) and eyes gladly closed.
"Not so fast." You poked her, and she opened a single eye to look at you. "You still have Huff and Gryff traits..."
"Well, fuck it, man," She shrugged, a nonchalant smile on her mouth, "I'm cool with being a proud Ravenclaw from now on."
"You sure about that?"
"Yup."
You watched as Poussey cheerfully closed her eye, taking a deep, relaxed breath. If she felt Ravenclaw suited her, then who were you to judge? Deciding she was most probably correct, you pushed your doubts and arguments to the corner of your mind and sat beside your friend for a few more dozens of seconds, the chatter of the other inmates understandable now that silence reigned Washington's bunk. Until you couldn't stand it anymore.
"P, there's something off about this." You blurted out.
To your surprise, instead of dismissing your worries, her eyes snapped open as she turned to you in desperation.
"I know, it's freaking me out, too!" Poussey put her hands on your shoulders, shaking you slightly "I don't know what I am! I don't- Oh shit, what if I get to Hogwarts someday and the Sorting Hat can't figure out where to put me? What if I'm sent back?!"
"No, no, no, they don't just send wizards back! I'm sure they have some kind of policy or plan for that kind of situation-"
And that was when realization dawned on you.
"Wait." You held her shoulders, trying to calm her down. "Who else do we know fitted more than one house?" You hinted.
"What? Who?" She raised her eyebrows at you.
"Harry! Harry did, remember?"
Tension filled moments passed as the gears in her head worked.
"Oh! He was half Gryffindor half Slytherin, right?" Her face lit up.
"Yeah, and he got to choose!"
"True!" Once again, her small body got overridden with too much excitement and she jumped to her feet again, joy beaming in her smile. This time, you couldn't stop your laughter. "Wait, so I can choose between the three?"
"That's what I think, yeah."
"Fuck yeah!" Poussey punched the air in celebration, giggling. Honestly, that girl was just too pure for this world.
Forty-five minutes later, you two still sat side by side, assigning houses to each and every Litchfield inmate. You had become quite good at it after some time, only now you were running out of names.
"Wait, what about the COs?" Poussey asked.
You looked at her with an amused smile.
"What?" She frowned.
"They're all Muggles, man!"