8 > Maritza Ramos

Creds:@blog-of-a-multitude-of-fandoms on tumblr x

You could have never imagined that you would end up in prison. You could only assume no one ever thought they would end up in prison, however it hit you like a tonne of bricks when you were sentenced. Oddly enough people were kind of welcoming and although your bunk mate didn't talk to you much at all, having your own space did make it easier than sharing the room with everyone waiting for room assignments.
Even though having your bunk it made you feel more at home, it still felt as though you were alone, and life would only get harder from here. The food wasn't great, the showers were filthy and none of the toilet stalls had doors, not to mention how uncomfortable the beds were. You had attempted to convince yourself it'd just be like summer camp, just indoors, without the activities and with a dress code and no way to leave until your sentence was up- that didn't work.
You attempted to hide you pain. Most people here had been here significantly longer than you and their sentences probably extended yours too, you didn't want to offend them with how broken the place made you feel. You had tried to hide your sobs until others had fallen asleep, silently crying into your pillow, but you were so tired and lost one day that you couldn't help but curl onto your bunk and cry to yourself.
Truly, you had hoped anyone whom saw you would ignore you, let your cry to yourself, but there was no such luck. A pretty Hispanic woman, joined you in your bunk, sitting on the end of your bed.
"What's wrong?" She asked.
"Nothing," you whispered attempting to wipe the tears from your face.
"This place?"
You nodded. There was no reason to lie to her. You didn't know who she was but lying didn't help anyone.
"Don't act so helpless," she stated "You can get through this. We all do."
Although in any other occasion, the bluntness of a stranger may have annoyed you or made you feel sadder than you did; this time it actually brought a smile to your face. Everyone else here had lost their families to be in here, a lot of these women were mothers and couldn't see their kids, so if they could all get through this then you could too.
"Thank you," you smiled weakly.
She smiled back. "It's okay. Everyone struggled at first, but you get used to it and it's easier to cope with. It may feel helpless or impossible, but it isn't."
You nodded your head, ever so grateful for her help. "Thank you so much, I really needed to hear that."
"We all did. I'm Ramos, Maritza Ramos," she smiled.
"Y/N Y/S/N."