Chapter 3

I groan as the early morning light fills my eyes. I reach over trying to grab Levi. All I come up with is air and the spare pillow he brought over. I haul myself up into a sitting position and look around. The tent was untouched, and Levi's clothes were missing. My clothes from yesterday were folded up nice and neatly. Well, at least I know that Levi was here for sure now. I climb out of bed and pull on my pants and a black fitted shirt. I slid on my socks and shoes and grabbed my belt as I headed out of my tent and towards the center. Along the way, I tucked in my shirt and put my belt on.

As I rounded the tent, I saw the squad sitting around eating breakfast and drinking their morning tea. "Ay, Levi's puppy is up." Oulo walked over and slung his arm around my neck. I rolled my eyes and forced him off me.

"And look, it's Levi's ugly shadow." I turned and motioned towards Oulo. I watched as he tried to glare at me. A few people let out some laughs, one person even snorted. "Anyways, where is Captain?" I looked around and don't see him anywhere.

"He and Gunther went on patrol a couple of hours ago." Petra walked over and handed me a cup of tea. "They should have come back by now."

"Petra you're just worried about your husband not being in your eyesight." Eld provoked her. I forced out a laugh like I always do at these comments. Everyone knows Petra likes Levi but only I know that he isn't interested in her.

I lean over and whisper to Annie, "when did Levi actually leave?"

"They actually left around sunrise." She whispered back.

"Then they should have been back now." I stood up and started to walk off. I heard people yelling my name and questioning where I was going. I rushed to my tent and picked up my M4A1. I really hope you are safe Levi.

I rushed through the trees. The gun bouncing in my hands as my head whipped around. I need to see him. I need him to be safe.

I burst through the trees and onto the dirt road we use for patrol. If I start running it, I will be able to catch them towards the end of the patrol. If I don't find them then, I will? I will? I will what?! God, I need to find you, Levi.

I followed the road around a sharp bend and there he was. He was just standing there. Gunther was nowhere to be found.

"Levi," I let out in a faint whisper. His head snapped in my direction and his eyes widened.

"Eren, you shouldn't be here." I took a step forward, but he held my hands up to stop me. "Eren, don't move. I am standing on top of a landmine right now. People could show up at any moment and start shooting us up."

"Where is Gunther?" I look around seeing if I overlooked something.

"He took off a bit ago to warn you guys." I closed the distance between us but left some space, so I wouldn't step on the mine. "He must of got back because you are here but you shouldn't be here because I told him to evacuate the camp and hide out somewhere."

"Levi, Gunther never came back. I came looking for you because everyone said you guys should have been back by now." I looked around and spotted some movement in the trees on the other side of the road I didn't come from.

"Levi," I dropped my voice into a whisper. "Do you believe in me?"

"Of course I do Brat." He musts of noticed something was up cause he also dropped into a whisper.

"Good," I take his hands into mine. "We are going to switch places and then you have to run."

"Brat, the mine will go off once I step off it."

"Not if we do it correctly."

"You will die." His eyes poured into mine.

"The squad needs you more than me." I placed my foot by his and pushed him off as I slid mine on. I slung off my gun and shoved into Levi's chest. "Now run."

He wrapped his arms around my neck, and it looked like he was going in for a kiss. He yanked down on my neck, and we both fell to the floor. Gunfire ranged out from around us. I pushed Levi away and watched as he took off into the trees to head back to camp. If I run now I can hide out in the trees and hopefully, I won't die.

I surround my head with my arms and assume a sprinting position. Once my foot leaves this landmine and explosion will happen and that will provide me with some coverage. I might not come out of this alive but I need to try.

My foot leaves the mine, and I hear gunfire start up again. An agonizing pain takes over my right leg and I fall to the ground. The landmine goes off behind me and I feel the shrapnel and rocks fly into me. My vision starts coming blurry. I need to get to cover. I look back and see my right leg mauled into nothing. That is the last sight I see before my body finally gives out. Well, I guess this is it.

The sound of beeping fills my ears. My arms and legs were stiff, and I couldn't move them. It felt like an elephant was sitting on top of me. "L-levi," I breathed out.

"Eren!" I heard a higher pitched voice scream. "We need a doctor!" I squeezed my eyes shut as my head pounded from the screaming.

"Ma'am, what's wrong?" A harsher voice entered.

"It's Eren." That voice, I know that girly voice. "He spoke."

"Eren?" This harsher voice is unfamiliar. "Are you conscious? If so, make some type of movement or say something."

"Levi." Where is Levi? I want Levi. I need Levi.

I flutter my eyes open, and I am met with blinding white light. This isn't camp. I jerk my head around and see medical instruments surrounding me.

"Where the hell am I?!" I throw myself up into a sitting position.

"Eren calm down." The high-pitched voice spoke. A hand grabbed onto my bicep and I tensed up. In one swift movement, I grasp the wrist of the hand and start twisting. A high-pitched scream came from the owner. I look over and see Mikasa.

"I am so sorry, Mika!" I let go of her hand and rest mine in my lap.

"Eren how are you feeling?" I turn to see a doctor standing at the end of my bed.

"Fine." I give him the cold shoulder. "Where is the rest of my squad?" Neither of them would look me in the eye. They are hiding something.

"One of you better fucking knows what happened to them?!" I screamed.

"Eren, just calm down," Mikasa whispered.

"Fuck this." I rip the iv out and unhooked all the wires from me. I shifted my legs over the edge and pushed myself up from the bed.

"Eren, don't do this!" Mikasa worried. Too late, I tried standing but ended up falling forward and landed on the ground, knocking the wind out of me. I pushed myself up but something felt wrong. I used my arms to get me into a sitting position to see I only had 1.5 legs.

"I," my vision became blurry as tears welled up in my eyes, "lost my leg." 

Hey Guys! Thank you so much for reading. I want to say a big thank you to @KK_Wriiting She helps me out a lot with this book. She proofreads the chapters before I publish them and she is a saint cause she puts up with. I bug her more than I should. Thank you so much KK for helping me out.