Ch.11 || Escape

"He's back

"He's back."

"Was he out there all night ?"

"Every night since the funeral. Comes back in the morning to see Charles and feed the horses, and when it gets dark he goes off again."

"He used to sleep out as a kid—"

I drowned out the rest of the conversation as I shifted the small boy from one hip to another. Every time I held Charles like this he would knit his small fingers in my hair normally forming knots. In the past I would give a toy to him to salvage what was left of the brown curls however in the new circumstance whatever would please him I'd abide to.

I take my own fingers and gently run them over the back of the toddlers head. If only I knew the thoughts that raced throughout his still formulating mind.

I know he knows his mother is no longer around but what child can truly understand death. I myself can only comprehend so much of it. Big round eyes peered up at me and a small giggle came out of his lips. Ever since Graces passing I've made it my duty to care for Charles. Yes, Tommy has a huge staff at the house and even a few personal nanny's for his son, but they're not family.

This child deserves to have someone who truly loves him and wants to care for him around during this time in his life. And I have no problem being that person.

All eyes turn to the door after it slams and the sound of heavy footsteps ascend on the room.

Tommy doesn't say anything or look up. Four heads slowly turn to follow his strides. He stops only briefly. He feet scuffing the floor in front of me. His eyes were placed firmly on his son. A strong hand reaching out over the young boys hair with a slight ruffle. The piercing blue eyes met mine for only a second.

With a nod he was off to his office.

I remaining staring at the place he once was. Wishing the spot was filled with the man he used to be. But that man disappeared with a gunshot.

"Kenz."

An arm gently grabbed my elbow. I look up to meet Michaels gaze before quickly switching over to Ada who has a concerned glance.