Ch. 15 || Destruction

I couldn't tell if my hand had gone numb from the frigid air and my lack of gloves or the tight grip from Michael's own.

The tense air was meant to be peaceful. I'm sure to all the outsiders it was. Today was a happy day. A day of new beginnings. A day everything would change. If only I knew how true that to be.

The whole family trailed alongside each other. Dressed in proper attire and amongst children galore. The pivots of shoes against ground was loud as we all stopped to take a picture. Michael hands gently brushing against Charlie's hair before the flash came.

We had hardly spoken since leaving the house. There was no animosity, at least not between the two of us. But there was something in Michael's eyes that I had only ever seen once before.

Pain.

Not the physical kind. The kind that rips you apart from within. As I stand idle beside him I yearn to make it stop. But we both know only one thing can do that.

As we enter the building I can't help the ache that overtakes my heart for the woman that should be standing with us today. The whole reason any of this was accomplished at all.

Taking our seats amongst the crowd the grip on my hand remained. As my eyes peer over to my right all I see is a pair of blue eyes darting throughout the room. Looking. Searching. Hoping to give a moment of stillness to those eyes. My lips quickly come in contact with a soft cheek.

As I pull away our noses bump slightly as his head turns in surprise. His shoulders seem to release from their rigid stance. Once more no words are exchanged. Just a slight squeeze of my hand telling me exactly what I needed to hear.

"Welcome to the opening of the Grace Shelby Institute for the None Insured Children of the Poor-"

I watch words leave Polly's mouth but don't seem to listen. My eyes wonder around the room to see all the different walks of life. It's obvious the crowd has separated themselves by everyone's own thoughts of our society. Even for something as beautiful as this people still see the Peaky Blinders as something to be frowned upon.

As people rise to their feet and the sound of applause floods the room I realize everyone was now honoring Tommy. The hollers of Arthur filled the air. I quickly moved from my spot to take Charlie from Tommy's arms. He gives me a nod of approval before approaching the podium.

I carefully situate myself down on the chair placing Charlie down on my lap and try to hush his cries. He soon took interest in my necklace and his small fingers began to twist at the pearls.

"Um I didn't come here today to make a speech but I will say this. These children are now safe. In our care, they will be safe because we are from the same cold streets as they are. And in our care they won't be shipped away to the colonies or separated from kin, or made to work for men in their various ways-"

I couldn't help but notice Michael's jaw clench.

"-they will grow up here at home, loved in Birmingham because this is our city."

"By order of the Peaky Blinders."

Always the last words Arthur.

As Polly announces the psalm to be song I see Thomas slip through the doors to the hallway.

I stand with the rest but no words are sung from my lips. As the song comes to an end the children begin to run throughout the aisle. Soon being herded my Ada to the closest door. I hadn't realized Michael left my side until I see his figure retreat through the same door as Thomas did before.

I too make way as everyone else does now. Filling out to the reception room. The timing lines up perfectly with Michael's exit. Again no words are exchanged just a large hand encasing mine once more. My eyes linger with the tall frame at the end of the hallway with his back turned.