Ch. 14 || Assumptions

Being in such a large house and hearing nothing but the sound of your own breathing is quite eerie. No footsteps against the wood floors, no chatter amongst the staff, no shouts or curses coming from the office below. It could easily drive a person mad.

3 days it's been this way.

The events that transpired those nights ago still haven't completely registered in my mind. After completing his phone calls Tommy was off to London. He tried to convince me he could drive himself but after many pleas and sobs from myself he agreed to let someone drive him.

It was later that night I received a phone call from Ada on the current state of Tommy's condition. He had been checked in the a hospital. Fractured skull, impaired vision and internal bleeding which caused a brain hemorrhage.

The doctors had to open his head up and repair what needed to. 12 staples to the head and 2 days laters, here we are.

Charlie became quite distraught without his father around. The young child couldn't be left alone so I quickly gave him a spot next to me in bed. Staying in one of the many guest rooms in this house which also became a semi permanent type room to myself.

Closing the door gently behind me I make my way downstairs. A large breath of relief fills my lungs now that I was finally able to put Charlie down for a nap. The poor child unaware of the events that have transpired.

 The poor child unaware of the events that have transpired

My shorts heels make a dull noise against the staircase. My steps soon come to a halt when a see the presence of someone in the foyer. Someone that should not be here.

"Sam?"

Blonde curls are tousled as his gaze finds my own. His hands that were once linked together behind his back unclasp.

"McKenzie. How great it is to see you."

"I'd like to say the same but I'd rather know what it is you're doing here?"

The corners of his lips quirk up in a not so subtle way. My feet regain movement until I'm face to face with the young man.