Chapter 17

AN: I know it's only been two days, but it's technically a new week...right?  Song dedicated to North getting hit in the face by the handsy octopus pants.

right?  Song dedicated to North getting hit in the face by the handsy octopus pants

North - Saved and labelled on my computer as GDFR :))))

The silence stretched out.

Then, Silas boomed out laughing from up front, causing the entire van to rock. Or, wait...maybe Nathan was helping with the rocking since he was laughing, too. I didn't want to glance away from North to check, but I was fairly certain I heard a snort from near my head to confirm my suspicions.

Very, so verrry slowly, North reached his massive hand up to grab the offending article of clothing. I gulped. His face was slowly revealed, and it was as...glorious...as it was stone-cold scary. His eyes zeroed in on something in the darkness beyond the van doors. At first, I thought it was Marc, but then I heard a dark chuckle.

"You'd better sleep with your eyes open, Crow," North said, calm as can be. He turned to me, and my breath caught in my throat. Even knowing his anger wasn't directed at me, I was scared on Raven's behalf for half a second before North's face relaxed. He slammed the door behind him without looking back and nearly took out Marc's face. Marc had lightning fast reflexes though, so he was able to dodge out of the way. "Let's get you changed," North grumbled.

Without a word, Silas opened his door, got out, and leaned back against the window with his arms folded across his chest as he scanned the surroundings. Karl likewise shut his door to do the same thing. Nathan cleared his throat once and then was helping me to sit up.

The wounds didn't hurt as much as they had before, and I wasn't sure whether to be worried or relieved. North's hands went to the hem of the shirt I was wearing and lifted before I could even process what was happening.

Cold air hit me, and the van just froze.

"What happened to your bra?" North asked, sounding regretful. I chanced a look up at him. There was just enough time to see a slight pink tint to his ears before the button-up shirt was pulled over my head and blocking my view. By the time my head popped back through, North's face looked like it usually did, so I had to wonder if I had imagined the whole thing.

"It was wet and cold," I said. "When Corey gave me his shirt to wear, I took it off."

"I'm sorry," he said. "I didn't know." He buttoned up the top two buttons that had been left undone for my head to fit through. Then, he stopped and glanced up and over my shoulder. Nathan was still back there helping to support me though he really didn't need to.

Nathan cleared his throat. "Uh, ah, are you wearing anything under the..."

I shook my head.

They silently, unanimously decided that the boxers would be okay until we could get inside.

North crouched down at my feet. "Can you lift your leg, or would you like me to help?"

I lifted my leg just fine. It pulled at my stomach, but I had a higher pain tolerance that had built up over the years. They didn't need to baby me. Although...it was a new experience that I was definitely liking.