Chapter 20

As I tried to puzzle out what the cure for giggles could be, Nathan spoke up. "Doc, this is Sang. Sang, this is Dr. Green."

A doctor? 

"You sound too young to be a doctor," I said carefully. There was a frown on my face. I could feel it because it twinged from Corey's bump earlier with the van door.

"Aww, you're too kind Miss Sang," the phone said. "And please, ignore Nathan's stuffiness. Call me Sean."

I didn't know how to take this guy, so I opted not to say anything instead.

"The silent, mysterious type," Dr. Green's voice said. "How intriguing."

There was a muffled voice, as if someone on the other end of the line was talking to Dr. Green. Nathan even snickered, but I was sure that he couldn't understand whatever it was the second voice was saying. I had really good hearing, so I had to wonder what it was that he was laughing about.

"Okay," Dr. Green continued, cheerily. "I hear that you've been shot, Miss Sang. You know, you're not supposed to let that happen."

I smiled, despite myself. I hadn't been to see a doctor before, but this guy didn't seem at all like what I pictured a doctor would be like.

"Alright Sang, I have some questions for you to answer. Just do the best you can and remember that you are protected under patient confidentiality. If you would like the others to step out of the room for some privacy, just say so. I myself have my...nurse with me,"

Nathan snickered again, and a faint sigh of exasperation came through the line along with that second voice again.

Dr. Green continued, as bright and cheery as before. "Nurse Owen will be here to ensure that everything stays professional. He's very good at that. He is also sworn to keep anything that you wish to remain confidential."

"They can stay," I said, looking around at the three still here. I would rather have them nearby just in case. Corey beamed, Karl remained stoic, and Nathan fell on the spectrum somewhere between the two with an encouraging smile on his face.

"Okay, how long ago were you shot?" Dr. Green asked.

"About two weeks ago."

"Okay, and how did you get the shots."

My mind flashed to Dell, Ivanov's right-hand man, but I couldn't bring myself to say his name for some reason. "Gun," I deflected shortly and uncomfortably. Would they get angry at me for withholding that information?

There was a short sigh. "I only ask because it is protocol to make sure that you are safe now."

"I'm as safe as I can be. The person that shot me isn't here." Yet.

"Good, good," Dr, Green said. "You know the shooter?"

I froze, the silence stretching out like a resounding lull in conversation after an awkward statement.

"I only say that because you seemed very sure that they weren't there. You also didn't use past tense when you talked about him. He's alive, then?"

I intentionally kept my mouth shut this time. Were all doctors moonlighting as detectives?

Dr. Green continued on. "How were your wounds initially treated?"

"Uh, cauterised and wrapped tight with bandages. I changed the gauze twice a day or whenever they were full of discharge. Then, I'd replace them with cream and fresh bandages."

"You did this yourself?" he asked patiently.

"Yes," I said, wary now of how much he was reading between the lines.