thirty

ZARA

four weeks later

"You seem happier today than I've ever seen you in my life," María said to me as I came into school with her by my side. I smiled to myself as I took a sip of my coffee, graciously given to me by María.

"I am happy, and do you know why?" I asked and she sighed. I laughed at her.

"Because Diego and Steven are coming home today," she said and I smiled at her.

"Exactly," I said, breaking the word up into two dramatic syllables. We walked into our class and sat at our regular seats in the back.

"What time does he get in?" She asked me as I turned in my seat to look at her.

"Four thirty," I responded.

"You gonna be able to make it through the day?" She chuckled and I smiled.

"Just counting down the hours. Arnold is picking me up right after school to pick them up. My dad is making dinner tonight for us."

"That's gotta be awkward," she said to me and grabbed my coffee cup, taking a sip.

"How?"

"You sitting in between your current boyfriend and your ex-boyfriend, who your dad caught you making out with."

"He knows the line. Steven is my best friend, Diego is my boyfriend. What happened with Steven was months ago. And I've told him that they're best friends too. Steven is just a friend now."

"Good. You know, I really like Diego. He's good for you."

"I think so too," I said and blushed.

"Alright everyone, settle down and let's get started," our teacher boasted and I groaned. I turned around in my seat and sighed as we started our lesson. It was going to be a long day.

I waited outside with María and José after school. It was just after three forty-five and Arnold would be here any second. José was supposed to be taking María home, but she wanted to wait with me 'so I didn't get lonely'. I told her I was fine but she insisted.

"How come all your friends have face tats and smoke like twenty joints a day?" José asked.

"I just have a type I guess," I joked and he smiled.

"Maybe I'll just have to get one next," María said. I hugged her from the side and put my head on her shoulder.

"But I like you for who you are," I pouted.

I heard a car pull up, blasting rap music as loud as it possibly could. I smiled and turned and saw Arnold's car. Of course, he was the one blasting music and jamming out in the front seat.

"My ride's here," I said and stood up, grabbing my bag and slinging it onto my back.

"Go see your boyfriends," she said and I rolled my eyes.

"I've only got one!" I shouted as I started to walk to Arnold's car. I turned amd waved once more before getting in the passenger seat.