Alinea; Chapter 2

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm completely aware that he could sex traffic me and send me to Mexico, Fayre. But I need this, you know I need this."

Fayre was my best friend. I met her my sophomore year and we've been inseparable ever since. After we graduated, we got an apartment together with her girlfriend. Fayre was the complete opposite of me. Wherever I struggled, she excelled, and vice versa. That's why we've always worked so well, like ying and yang. 

"Bex, just think about this, you know I'm only worried." She's the only one I let call me "Bex". My name is Bexley, and out of respect for my mother, I'll be damned if someone ever calls me anything else.

"Yeah, all you ever do is worry about me, I'm only one year younger, you know? And I'm pretty sure I can handle him in a public place, you only have to be worried if I meet him somewhere private, like his apartment." I stated giving her a pointed look.

"If this is about Cedar, we can-"

"Don't you have a shoot at ten?" I asked cutting her off. Fayre's name means beautiful, and she doesn't come short of it. She's an aspiring model, that's how she met Bella, her girlfriend, whose name also means beautiful. What a coincidence.

She sighed and grabbed her purse. "We're talking about this when I get back."

"Yeah, whatever, I promise. I love you." We always said I love you before we left, you never know what could happen.

"Love you too, Bex." And with that, she walked out the door, and I was left alone.

Two minutes later the door reopened and Fayre walked back in.

"Um Bex, it's nine-forty." 

"Wow thanks Fayre. You're so worried about me you don't even think I can read a clock." I said with an eye roll and continued eating my cereal.

"If you would stop with the attitude you would realize I was trying to tell you-"

"Shit! It's nine-forty my shift starts at ten!" I jumped up and started running towards the bathroom, but realized something and turned around to look at her.

"Oh, that's what you were about to-"

"Love you, Bex." She said and slammed the door.

"Love you too!" I yelled like she could actually hear me. And with that, I scrambled to get ready. It was going to take me at least ten minutes to look decent and another thirty to get there since I take the bus.

"I'm so screwed." I whispered to myself. 

I frantically got ready and ran to the elevators of my apartment. I never realized how slow they were until I needed to be somewhere. I got in the elevator and went down to the ground floor and ran towards the bus stop. Luckily, one had just pulled up. I hopped on and headed straight downtown. Ten-twenty five, and we were two blocks away. All of a sudden, the driver took a different turn. I stood up and walked to the front of the bus.

"Excuse me sir, I think you took a wrong turn."

"No ma'am, new route got assigned last night." He drawled with a deep country accent.

"Stop the bus! Stop it! Right now!"

"I can't do that ma'am, only at assigned stops."

"Please, I'm begging you, please."

"I can't go breaking the rules for just anyone little lady-", he said before slowly looking me up and down, "But maybe you could repay me later." He took one hand off the wheel and used it to slap my ass. I gasped and he threw his head back and laughed.