I Think I'm Losing Myself

Daniel found himself settling into a steady rhythm at his new job. He had a scary moment at the beginning, where he feared that his new boss would take back his promise and not let him work after all. Daniel should have known he would be treated differently in his ugly body.

In his real body.

Luckily, the man was desparate and Daniel knew his way around a cigarette counter. He was hired but...for a considerable lower wage than what he had been promised earlier that day.

Daniel flushed hotly, thinking about the strange first day of school he had. Most of the people had been so friendly! So kind! ( With the notable exception of Zack Lee, of course.)

But none had been as kind as Jay. Daniel didn't even know his family name. All he knew was that the other boy was probably an angel sent from heaven. Not only did Jay deign to help his original body after he'd gotten beat up a couple days ago, but he'd also given Daniel a ride home, friendly smiles, even offering him a job!

It was too much!

Daniel was in awe of the other boy. Jay was handsome, stylish, kind and responsible--as is evidenced by the fact that Jay apparently also had a job. And Jay didn't have a second body to make it easier to balance work and school!

A customer came in, and Daniel greeted them cheerfully. Watching absently as the woman nervously gathered supplies from shelves like a squirrel, he thought back to how Jay had acted. He was quiet. Quiet like most handsome high school boys were not.

The woman all but threw her bag of tampons at Daniel, which he dutifully scanned. She paid and left without a word. Daniel sighed, but didn't think much of it.

Looking back now...did Jay talk to anyone? Try as Daniel might, he couldn't recall a time when Jay had interacted with any of their classmates. No one went out of their way to seek him out. Nor did Jay seem to look for company. Not even the bubbly, cheerful Zoe seemed interested in talking to him.

Daniel frowned. Maybe Jay was a loner. But...no...that doesn't seem right. A loner would not have offered to let a stranger ride on his bike with him. (Here Daniel flushed once more at the memory of holding tightly onto Jay's muscular body.) A loner would not have so gladly responded to Daniel's awkward attempts at conversation. That didn't scream "loner" to Daniel.

Just..."lonely"

Daniel's heart clenched.

The only reason a kind and handsome guy like Jay wouldn't be popular would be...was it because of...

Daniel clenched his fists, glad that no one was around to see his anger.

Jay spoke with his hands and expressions. His face (what he could see of it) was very animated, and his hands flitted around gracefully. Daniel could only assume it was because of a disability, but for all he knew Jay could use sign just for the heck of it.

Why would it create such a barrier between Jay and the rest of the class? It's not like it's all that hard to understand what he's trying to say.

The bells above the door jingled and three rough looking youths walked in

Rough looking youths that Daniel recognized. From school.