twenty-two

"I'm from the east side of America, where we chose pride over character and we can pick sides, but this is us."
-The Chainsmokers; Sick Boy

Bucharest-2016
(Vera)

James got up and charged at the Panther, but he ended up getting kicked away. They continued to fight against each other using swift movements. I was just getting ready to get up and join in when James was kicked into a wall. The Panther swiped at James with his claws several times, but James rolled out of the way. I was standing now, but my head throbbed. The Panther ran up against the building, gaining momentum and then kicked James to the ground. James started to get back up but as soon as he did the Panther grabbed James' shoulders and did an arial throwing James onto the concrete. I charged at the man getting in a couple good punches before I was also thrown back. The man returned to James and extended his claws.
"You're right!" I screamed pointing to a metal bar laying beside James. He immediately grabbed it and used it to shield his face from the Panther's claws. The metal bar broke in half with a swipe of the man's claws and he was extending them towards James' face. Luckily he caught the man's wrists before the claws reached his skin. A rain of bullets comes down on us from a helicopter that was hovering above the building. The Panther's suit must've been bulletproof because even though several bullets hit him, there was no sign of blood. James used this as a distraction and kicked the Panther away. He slung his bag over his shoulder and ran.
"Vera!" He yelled.
I ran to catch up him and together we jumped off the rooftop and onto one of the building's ledges. The Panther was following us closely as we jumped again, this time landing on the street. We took off in a sprint, now with the Panther and Captain America running after us.
"There! We need to jump!" I yelled as I pointed out a skylight leading to the highway below us.
"Find a motorcycle!" James told me as my hand wrapped around his metal one. We jumped down and landing in the middle of a street. Cars honked but kept driving.
"Run!" James told me.
I took off in the direction the cars were going and saw James was not far behind me. I kept scanning the road for a motorcycle but didn't see one. As I ran further into the tunnel I could hear the police sirens getting louder and more constant. When I finally reached the end of the tunnel I saw a fleet of police cars blocking the exit.
"Other side." I heard James yell.
I looked to my left and saw another road that was blocked by barrels off to discourage u-turns. I leapt over the barrels and continued to run. I finally saw a man on a motorcycle once I was out of the tunnel. I grabbed the handle bar, throwing the man off it and whipped the bike around in the air. When it landed I was seated on it.
"James!"
As soon as he'd jumped on the bike I took off.
"Dead end! You need to turn!" I heard him say. I turned as soon as I saw an opening in the concrete that separated the roads. We drove into another tunnel and the Panther seemed to be gaining on us. He pounced down from the roof of a car that was behind us.
"Keep going!" James shouted to me. I glanced back and saw he held the Panther in a choke hold. Suddenly the bike tipped and James dragged his metal hand on the ground to steady it. The Panther tried to pounce again but James kicked him off. We finally had the bike steady.
"Close it off!" I yelled as James threw a bomb onto the roof of the tunnel. As soon as we were clear it exploded leaving blocking the exit to the tunnel. Somehow the Panther managed to get out and throw us off the bike.
"How are you still here?" I yelled, becoming more frustrated by the minute. The Panther had James under him and looked ready to strike, but before I could get there Steve tackled the Panther. I stood up and went over to James.
"What now?" I asked.
"Nothing."
The police had the area completely surrounded, and as if that weren't enough some sort of off-brand Iron Man had showed up too.
"Stand down, now." He told us.
Steve put his shield away showing he didn't want to fight.
"Congratulations Cap, Natasha's sister," he acknowledged, "You're both criminals." He said with disgust.
I rolled my eyes. Big deal.
"Technically I've been a criminal since I was twelve." I retorted.
The police surrounded us and forced James and I onto our knees. Then man in the panther suit took off his mask. Steve seemed to know him, referring to him as 'your highness'.

——————-

James and I were transported to Berlin in an armed truck. He was restrained completely and locked inside a glass cage. I had thick steel handcuffs on and was surrounded by guards. I enjoyed the ride by staring at the guards and seeing how long before they looked away due to their discomfort.
When we finally arrived at where ever we were I was carted out by the guards and James' glass cage was lifted out with forklift and transported somewhere. I had guards eight guards flanking me and two leading me by the arms. After a bit of a walk I was also shoved into a cage, however I only had my wrists cuffed down to the chair.
"James? Can you hear me?" I asked.
"Yah. You okay Vera?" I hear his muffled voice ask.
"I'm fine. I think we're going to be evaluated, whatever that means." I told him.
"Probably. It's standard procedure."
We were both silent for a minute. I contemplated various escape scenarios, none of which had a very good chance of success.
"I'm so sorry." I heard him say.
"What for?"
"You had a great life. You were living your dream Vera! Being a dancer, seeing the world. I dragged you out of it." I could hear the pain in his voice.
"Oh James! You thought that was my dream?" I asked, almost laughing.
"Well, yes."
"It might've been at one point in my life, but for at least fifty years now my dream has always had you in it."
He didn't saw anything after that so we sat in silence.

__
"And they say that I am the sick boy, easy to say when you don't take the risk boy."
__