Greek Mythology Is Just Mythology

I looked out the window and saw that the sun was shining bright over the city of New York. The clock read 10:30 about and I'm guessing that Spencer was still sleeping or they're just not letting him out of his room. My mother, sister, and brother haven't come yet, they're probably eating breakfast or sleeping.

My dad died when I was seven, my brother was two, and my sister was a few months old. Leaving me to watch over my family when my mom worked late, which was every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and every other Friday.

When she didn't work late I get to go out and have fun my friends. Whenever I was out with my friends I'd always see strange things or strange things would happen. Mainly when I was with Spencer which was ninety-nine percent of the time.

For instance one time we were at Subway and this one person, who looked about twenties, kept eyeing us like we were dinner instead of the food in front of her. Then she'd walk past us, a lot, and she had an odd sort of mechanical walk. At one point her hair turned to flames and we left.

There are others, but that was one of the weirdest.

I heard a knock the door.

"Come in," I said.

In came a different nurse from last night. She had a tray of food. Eggs, bacon, fruit, and chocolate milk. She put on the table and moved it so it was over me. She pressed a button on the side of the bed and my bed began to rise up into a sitting position.

"Tell when it hurts and I'll stop," she said. I nodded my head. She kept raising it and my ribs didn't hurt. Just a slight pinch, but it didn't really hurt. It eventually stopped and I was a few inches from a normal sitting position.

"Wow. This doesn't hurt your ribs?" she asked.

"No. Well I feel a slight pinch, but it doesn't really hurt," I shrugged.

"How about your head?"

"It feels fine. Like it did before the crash."

Her face showed confusion, "that's weird." her eyes landed on the container with the ambrosia in and her confusion disappeared. "Oh this stuff. Yeah don't eat to much of it."

"Oh ok," I said, but I wasn't going to listen to her. She was suspicious looking, and she had a sort of limb that was mechanical looking. Just like that person at Subway.

My eyes shifted to her dark brown curly hair. So far no fire. With relief my eyes shifted to her eyes that were such a dark brown they almost looked black.

"Enjoy your breakfast!" she exclaimed and limbed out. I grabbed the container and popped the lid off, forgetting that my arm was in a sling. There were four bars left. Two for Spencer and two for me.

I began eating the breakfast the nurse brought in. It actually wasn't half bad, but then again I haven't eaten since noon on Friday (not counting the ambrosia from the night before) and it was Monday.

Then Spence bolted into the room panting and a frantic look on his face, "Leah!"

I bolted up. "What?! What is it?!"

"Hi," he said smiling.

"Wow!" I yelled laughing.

"Yeah you should've seen the look on her face," he said laughing. "Hey you're laughing and sitting up again. Does it hurt?"

"Just a smidge, but it's bearable," I shrugged.

"Well good," he plopped down onto the chair. "Can we have more of that ambrosia now?"

"Well duh!" I picked up the container, took one, and ate it. It tasted like cookie dough again. Warmth coursed through my veins.

The pain in my ribs completely disappeared, and I felt like I had a lot sugar. I moved the table over, it was getting my way. I took the sling off my right arm, revealing a makeshift cast. I leaned forward wanting to stretch. I touched my toes with ease, no pain. Then the nurse walked in with the doctor.

"What are you doing?" she gasped.

"Stretching," I replied with a shrug.

"With two broken ribs! I don't think so," she yelled.

"But I feel fine. More then fine. I feel better then I did before the accident," I shrugged.

"Remarkable," the doctor whispered. I looked at his name tag. The letters floated around due to my dyslexia. After a few seconds I was able to make out "Dr. Colt". The nurse didn't have a tag. "You say you don't feel any pain?"

"None at all," I said.

"This is odd. I'm going to take x-rays. How about your head?" he asked.

"Hasn't hurt since last night."

"Wow. I'll examine your bones and your head a little later," he said and exited the room fallowed by the limbing nurse.

"It is a little strange. Don't you think?" I asked.

"The fact that our injuries are basically healed? Yes yes it is," Spencer nodded.

"It may be weird, but not the weirdest thing that has happened to us. Right?" I shook my head.

"Oh yeah. Remember that one time when we were outside for recess and the football team was bothering us and all the sudden a huge lightning bolt just appeared out of the calm sunny day and struck right between us and them?"

"That was totally weird! Remember when they were bothering us in the hallway and we passed that water fountain and it just exploded and instead of the water spreading throughout the hallway. A huge tidal wave just plowed right at them!"

"That was the craziest." He shook his head. "There's something different about us, isn't there?"

"That would be the best way to put it. Hey maybe we're demigods. Like what Mr. Brunner has been teaching us about in Greek Mythology class," I suggested.

We cracked up laughing.

"Nah we're just a couple of weirdos," Spencer said.

It was true we've been through a lot of weird experiences together. We always just assumed that there was something wrong with us or something. We never thought of ourselves as demigods. I mean come on Greek Mythology is just that mythology.