Chapter One

~Abby~

When Abby's nightmares started playing out in real life, she knew something was horribly wrong.

It had been two months since the pack had found the warlock responsible for the witch murders. Two months since she had killed him. After healing up in the mountains, she returned to the city with Wesley in tow. Ready to finish up the school semester as strongly as she could. But over those two months, murders started happening all over the coast, including some in New York. These killings were different, though. They weren't witches, wolves, or Faye.

They were human.

Unconcerned at first, the pack went on with their daily business. Abby went back to her classes and moved in with Claire for the time being. No one paid much attention to the human murders. Humans killed each other, that's just how they were.

It wasn't until three girls were murdered, slaughtered, near Claire's house, that the pack started to pay attention.

Vampires were behind the murders. All of them.

Something occurred, something changed, to make the vampires lose concern about the humans finding out about them. They weren't careful anymore, only taking the blood they needed. They no longer cleaned up their messes.

They fed, slaughtered helpless humans as if it were a game.

Now, sitting in Claire's living room at two AM, Abby watched the newscaster speak of another set of murders in L.A. A party gone wrong, according to the cops. But people were starting to talk. Murders like these could only go on for so long before people started paying attention.

Glancing down at her phone, sitting limply in her hand, Abby wished that Wesley would call. She had spoken to him that morning, but only briefly. He was in Colorado with Alex, investigating a murder and trying to find any news on where Elazar was. They still hadn't had any word on the Faye. With no idea where he was, or why he had vanished, Abby was left to her own devices. But she always felt better when Alex and Wesley were safely at home in the mountain. With finals over, she had thought she would be less stressed. But then they left again and her anxiety rose a few notches. With a sigh, she turned the TV off, sending the house into silence. Walking into the kitchen, she deposited a half drunk cup of mint tea, before heading towards the bedrooms. Passing the entry to the sunroom, something caught her eye.

Looking out into the back garden, the snow-covered ground seemed to give off an inner glow. The crescent moon gave off little, the only light in the yard coming from the light pollution of the city. Standing just inside the treeline of the yard, was the girl from Abby's dreams. She looked the same as she always had - long dark hair, white lace gown. But this time she looked older, her body more filled out. Her iridescent eyes were looking inside the house.

Abby stood in the doorway for a moment, taking the time to study the girl. She hadn't seen this spirit in months, not since the events at the warehouse. She's seen other spirits though, plenty of them in fact. Just like before, they were drawn to her light. She tried to help them as best she could, answering their questions and sending them on their way. But she had the sinking feeling that seeing this spirit again wasn't going to be so simple.

Taking a deep breath, she walked into the sunroom. Stopping in front of the farthest wall, she looked out over the glittering snow. "What do you want?" Her voice sounded abnormally loud in the silence of the night, and she had only whispered. The girl didn't say anything, which didn't surprise Abby. Most didn't, and when they did, it wasn't usually out loud.

Pulling at the power in her chest, she let it warm her already chilled body. The knowledge that spirits couldn't get into Claire's house helped give Abby some confidence. It was protected, just like Alex's house in the mountains. Once she felt the power fill her, leaving her fingertips tingling, she raised a hand to the glass. "I can't help you if you don't tell me what you need."