Chapter Five

~Abby~

Over the following days Abby hiked more, and ate more, than she had in years. Wesley said she was burning at least five-thousand calories while they hiked, which meant she needed to try to eat at least five-thousand calories. Even though they had only been hiking a couple of days, she knew she had lost weight. Not a good thing when it was below freezing.

On the third - and final - day of their hike, Abby was feeling like stabbing Wesley the next time he made her eat a protein bar. Cold be damned, she would puke if she ate another one. They had been trekking through a valley for the better part of an hour. As they crested a small hill, Abby could see that the valley ended abruptly. A frozen lake sat between them and the mountain on the other side. With a groan, she sat down heavily on the snow. Shucking her pack off her back, she rolled her shoulders. "Great. I don't know about you, but I am so not walking across frozen water."

Coming up behind her, Wesley chuckled as his own pack hit the snow beside her. Taking his water canteen, he took a drink before handing it to her. "The ice is probably at least two feet thick at this elevation."

The water was ice cold as it went down her throat. "That's nice. Still not doing it." She handed him the water and then looked back at the lake. "Aren't we close? I thought the passage to The High Forest was supposed to be right around here." He hummed, searching in his pack for the map Alex had given them. As he unfolded the map, Abby looked out at the frozen landscape. She wasn't much for winter, although she used to like the snow. Used to. Because after hiking in it for three days, she was about ready to hop the next flight to the Bahamas.

The mountains stretched high into the sky on all sides, snow-capped peaks blending with the fluffy clouds. Gray stone merged into the deep emerald of the evergreens, their color peeking out from under their snowy blankets. Although the frozen lake made Abby anxious, the reflection of the sky on the glass-like surface was stunning.

She was about to ask Wesley for one of those god-forsaken protein bars, when a pulling sensation bloomed in her chest. Her power pulsed, warming her from the inside out, as it responded to the pull. Standing slowly, Abby looked around. Something was calling to her, but what was it? And where was it coming from? Picking her way down the shallow slope, Abby was vaguely aware of Wesley calling her name. But it was far away, like he was calling for her through a dense fog. She reached the bottom of the hill, snow almost reaching her knees. She wished she had put on her snowshoes.

The lake was to her right, an expanse of pristine snow between them. But whatever was calling to her was pulling her further down the shoreline. With a deep breath, she continued through the deep snow. After a couple of minutes, Abby realized that she should've thought harder before walking without her snowshoes on. Her pack was behind her, still sitting in the snow. As she was about to turn around, ask Wesley if he had grabbed it, something in front of her caught her eye. Sitting just inside the tree line was a stone-covered mound. Cutting through the center, was a rock-lined passage.

She stopped so abruptly Wesley bumped into her back. Mumbling an apology, she walked again. This time, however, she was acutely aware of Wesley walking beside her, his shoulder brushing hers every so often. They stopped at the entrance, looking at the stone passage in collective awe. Abby could feel her own excitement and apprehension mixing with Wesley's. His emotions mingling with hers in the silence.

She looked at him briefly, eyebrows raised in a silent question. Putting a hand on her lower back, he answered with his own silent shrug. Taking comfort in the pressure of his palm through her coat, Abby took a deep breath and walked into the pathway. Taking her glove off, she ran her hand along the side. Rock and moss were cold to the touch, but a warmth spread up her arm from the contact. Walking further, the path curved before opening wide. The rocky hill fell away to reveal a valley. A valley that had not been there when Abby and Wesley had stood at the top of the hill. With bated breath, Abby walked out of the passage, her hand falling to her side as the stone was left behind.