Chapter Four

~Alex~

The sounds of papers being shuffled around the desk filled Alex's ears. His flight for New York would leave at sundown, and he had a lot of work to get done before he headed to the city. Rubbing the rough stubble on his chin, he flipped through the documents littering his office. He didn't take the time to shave that morning, before taking the kids up the mountain. Another thing to add to his list before he left. A soft knock on the door lifted his eyes from the desk. "Come in."

Tori poked her head in, her bottom lip between her teeth. "Are you busy? I can go back to packing."

Her concern and worry was palpable in the air, her scent slightly sour instead of fruity like it was when she was happy. Alex smiled softly, setting the few papers he had in one hand down. "I'm never busy for you, you know that. What's on your mind?" Was she worried about the trip to New York? He and Warren had decided that Tori would accompany him, deciding it would be helpful to have one of his own pack with him. Tori had never met the Alpha of New York before, perhaps that was putting her on edge.

"I'm worried about Abby and Wesley."

Ah, of course. Tori had a big heart, always had, despite everything she'd been through in her young life. Alex smiled, gesturing for her to sit across from him. "I should've known. But you know Wesley won't let anything happen to Abby."

"I know. But what if they get lost? What if they can't find this passage to the Faye? What if they need us and we aren't here?"

Raising his hand in a placating manner, Alex sighed, although it did nothing for the smile on his lips. "Warren and Kyle aren't going anywhere. If they come back here, they'll be taken care of. I promise, they'll be fine."

Her eyes shifted from his to the map still laid out on the desk. "You don't know that."

No, he didn't. But he had to be hopeful - especially in times like they found themselves in. He wouldn't have survived all the years he had without finding hope. "You're right, I don't know for certain. But I trust my son and his abilities - and our dear Abby isn't helpless, either." Catching her eye, he offered a small smile. "We need to have faith in them."

Slowly nodding her head, she let out a long sigh. "I know you're right. I just - I worry."

"And that's one of the most endearing things about you, my dear. Just have a little more faith in them." He went back to flipping through a stack of papers, deciding what needed to be burned and what he'd take with him. "Now, is that all that's bothering you?"

Tori was silent for a few moments, but Alex didn't say anything more. His daughter had always been one to think things through before speaking her mind and pushing for it never worked out. If she wanted to tell him, she would. But he had good faith that whatever was on her mind would work its way out - she came into his office, after all. Her silence stretched on long enough that he almost finished sorting through his disaster of a desk when her soft voice broke the quiet.

"I've never been around that many wolves before."

Glancing away from his work, he observed Tori pick at the edge of her sweater. He was an idiot. Of course, she'd be concerned about the trip to Ira's territory. Cursing himself, Alex moved around his desk and sat in the chair beside her. Reaching forward, he gently took her hands into his and squeezed. "My child, I am so sorry I didn't even think of what this trip might make you feel. I've been so preoccupied-."

"It's fine, really. I don't mean to make you worry even more."

"It's my job to worry about my pack." He gave her a pointed look and squeezed her hands again. "It's no excuse on my part to have been so focused on everything else. I hope you can forgive me."

"Alex -."

"If there is one thing I promise since you walked into this room, it's that the least of our worries needs to be the wolves of New York. With everything going on, I'm sure they'll be on their best behavior. And I'll be right there." She bit her bottom lip before slowly nodding her head. Patting her hand gently, he leaned forward and kissed the top of her head. "We need to leave soon, are you all packed?"

"Almost."

Rising from his seat, he nodded. "Alright, go finish. I'm almost done here. Can you ask Warren to come here, please?"

Heading for the door, Tori stopped when her hand landed on the doorknob. "Hey, Alex?" With his attention already back on the documents, he hummed as he raised his head. She smiled that little smile only Tori had. "Thanks."

"