Chapter 1

"Mel...Mel...MEL! wake up! you're gonna be late for class."

I heard Mia calling for me from the bathroom. This is how I always wake up in the morning. She has to wake me up every morning because no matter how many times I set up my alarm I don't seem to hear it ringing. only Mia Adley's deafening voice can reach my ears. As usual, here I am crawling out of my bed half asleep, getting ready to go to college.

"Mel... you need to fully wake up!!! Melina aurora this is the last time I'm telling you! you need to hurry up!"

yep, that's my name, she only uses my full name when she is really pissed off. And yes, I am Melina Aurora, a sophomore at Wisconsin Lawrence college, to be honest, I had no idea that a place called Wisconsin existed on this world until I searched for scholarships that I can apply to study abroad can't believe that it's been a year since I got here from the hell I lived in. I never thought that this beautiful place would be my safe haven.

Looking back at the first day, I came here not knowing anything about this place or the school or the people around here only thinking that this would be my escape from the suffering and my revival for the plans I have ahead of me.

I was so lucky to have someone like Mia Adley as my roommate in the hostel, even though she knew nothing about me she accepted me as I am, and for that, I am very grateful. she didn't care about me being an orphan Indian girl with unusually long jet-black hair with a beige skin tone and a slim body which can be considered as malnourished. she only considered the fact that both of our names have the same initial letters and she thinks that I was fated to be her roommate.

"Mel you are a mess! comb your hair at least for today!"

Mia yelled at me. I quickly changed into my worn-out blue jeans and a light pink long sleeve blouse and my sneakers. I hurried to the mirror and tried to do my hair. It's easy for her to say, unlike me she had a silky ginger hair which came down to the middle of her back and ivory skin and green colour eyes which perfectly matched with her hair and skin tone. She always put her hair lose, which is totally opposite of me who always put my hair up in a bun as its way too long to have it loose that it reached the thighs of my legs. And I always put my bun by using my Chinese hairpin which was given to me by Virat, a brother from another mother back in the Dreamhouse orphanage.

"Mel c'mon...!"

"Okay ... okay, I'm ready! let's go!"

"Mel you DO know that we have a mock test, today right?"

"we do??" "for what?" I asked having a mini heart attack inside my chest

"For English you idiot... I can't believe you forgot that even after reminding you a hundred times yesterday"

yeah, now I remember she called over the phoned while I was doing my part-time job as a cashier in a convenience store close to the college that we have a mock test but it was too tired and late for me to start studying English so I went straight to bed. Mia handed me her notes from our English Lessons I had only 10 minutes to go through them and sit for the exam. As usual her notes were better than mine and I am very good at memorizing things in a life and death situations like this. I think it runs in my veins to remember everything when I'm tense and nervous after all my childhood is filled with life and death situations which I don't like to remember, but sadly I remember each and every second of it. we walked to the college as our hostels are within the college premises.

I was so drowned in Mia's English notes that I didn't realize we reached our lockers. As usual, the college is filled with students I don't recognize, unlike Mia who is waving and greeting to every living creature she comes across ad mostly male creatures. Mia is like a magnet for the whole male population of this college and this is the main reason why we don't talk much to each other in college. She was like the highest step of the popularity ladder and I am like the lowest step of it. And believe it or not, I like it this way I want my college life to be as quiet as it can be and I have a pretty good reason not to be a celebrity in this college. Mia went to her upper-class friends Rosie Hemmington and Ashley Roberts who are in the top ten most popular girls in Lawrence college. I quickly went past them and met with Lydia and Danny Middleton also known as the nerd twins.

"Hi, guys!" I said as I joined them. They are my only friends other than Mia in here.

"Hi Mel!" said Lydia and Danny just smiled and stayed quiet as always.

Lydia, who is a very tall girl with brown hair braided into two plaits, which emphasized her large forehead with porcelain skin tone, brown eyes and big bushy brown eyebrows just like her hair. She and I prefer wearing jeans than mini skirts and dresses. Her brother is just like her the only difference other than being a boy is that he has a short hair neatly combed to aside.

"did you study for the test today Mel?" Lydia asked.

"not really I was so tired after my shift so I went straight to bed. How about you guys?"

"err why do I even bother asking?! you guys don't even have to study! you two are the smartest people I have known in my life. this is a piece of cake for you guys" I went on.

"No... that's not true you are smarter than you give your self-credits for Mel"

Sweet Lydia always encourages me to do my best. Even though these guys don't know about me at all they support me like we've been known since childhood. I wonder what would happen if they knew about me would it be as same as back in India? Will they treat me as if I am garbage? The bell rang for the first class and we all went for English. I went straight to my seat which is in the last row near the window and started scanning through Mia's notes again. English is one of my favourite subjects even though I am not very good at it. Mrs Parker entered the class asking everyone to sit down. Along with her came a boy and every girl in the class made an oozing sound as he walked in. I looked at him again trying to see whether I know him but nope nothing I can't recognize him at all. Actually, I'm not surprised because I have no interest in most of the guys and girls here, other than my three friends. Therefore, I barely know anyone else around here.

"Is that whom I think he is?" the girl sitting in front of me whispered to her friend.

"oh my god he is so hot!" said the other girl.

I looked at the boy again to grasp their idea of being hot. well...he is tall and well-built with broad shoulders. And as for his face, I can say that he has almost perfect jawline with a pointed nose. He has light green eyes and very thick brown eyebrows and hair. He wore a white t-shirt that touched each and every muscle underneath it and a black denim trouser and an expensive-looking leather jacket.so this is what they call hot huh? well, I guess he is handsome. And that's all the more reason for me to stay away from him. I turned my head to Mia's notes again. And heard Mrs Parker asking the new student to introduce himself.

"Hi, I'm Tyler Brown. It's nice to meet you all" he said.

"okay Tyler you can sit now," said Mrs Parker.

For a moment I thought all the commotion would be over once he sat down but no! out of all the empty seats that are in this class he chose the one right next to mine. All of a sudden I felt like I became visible to my class because everyone is looking at the last row where there is only me and Tyler. I saw Mia looking at me from the first raw with eyes widen with surprise. Somehow, I felt that my invisible wall is about to get shattered an all the things I've been hiding is about to get revealed and that my safe heaven would no longer be safe for me.

Author's note

This is my first time writing a story so I hope you guys would kindly overlook my mistakes and poor editing skills. Thank you for reading Hope you guys could tell me how it was by commenting.