Two

Everyone was awake in an instant. 

The yelp that woke them sounded like a puppy having its fangs torn out. Another yelp, then a series of growls and barks were let out before Kazé managed to form words. "Get off me! Let go or I'll bite out your..." his sentence was cut off with another uncomfortable yelp.

"Kaz! Kaz are you alright? What's happening?" shouted a panicked Cariolta. "Just stay calm and don't fight! Just do as you're told and we'll all be better off."

"Rip them to pieces." interjected Kish. "Things aren't going to get any worse."

"What in the hells? Who's out there?" The voice of the mystery madman from the night before echoed up the hallway.

"It's the nearly dead guy in my cell." snarled Kazé. "He's grabbed my fur and started... petting me. He's got a grip like a vice. He let go when I bit him. I think he's simple or something."

"Gods, you scared me! I thought they were going to take you downstairs and torture you!" Cariolta sighed with relief.

The man's voice, sounding much more composed than the night before repeated, "Who's out there?"

The ever-composed Kish answered quickly, "Just some unlucky travelers who lost their way and found themselves lodging in this fine establishment. Yourself?"

"The name's Prag."

"And what did you do to deserve the treatment you got last night?" growled Kazé suspiciously.

"Something's wrong with your friend's voice—sounds like he got kicked in the throat."

"He's a wolf, a High Wolf," Cariolta informed their fellow captive. "And I'm also curious what got you into the state you were in when you were returned to your cell."

"I don't really remember much of what happened yesterday. Nor have I got much idea what day it is. I figure I've been here a little over two days. There's no light or dark to tell the time by, but the guards here don't seem to like working nights. So I figure I've had two days of torture."

Cariolta interrupted, "But we've heard screaming all night. It sounded like they were working nonstop."

"The place is haunted." Prag seemed more annoyed than frightened. "They scream like that all the time. This place was something else before it was a prison; it's ancient. You must have noticed the slight discrepancy in architectural styles in the courtyard."

"You're dodging the question," commented Kish.

"No, I'm just rambling. I do that when I'm in pain. It distracts me. You see I'm in rather a lot of pain at the moment, so I'm likely going to ramble quite a bit. They're pretty creative with their torture, I have to say. They've got some flashy magic gizmos down there that feel rather how I'd imagine licking a lightning bolt might. Had me strapped down to one of them for two days running now. It's left me a might bit sore..."

"So why are they torturing you?" Kish was not letting the point slip away.

"Oh, cause I won't tell them who hired me. Wouldn't ever get another job if I did. It's not professional, see..."

"Hired you to do what?" Kish was starting to get annoyed.

"Gather unicorn horns. All sorts of wizardy stuff you can do with those and they only live up north here..."

"Unicorns!" Cariolta was mortified.

"Oh, don't start with me! Have you ever met a unicorn? No? I didn't think so. They're dirty, smelly, and ill-tempered. And besides I wasn't hunting them. The damned things shed their horns every spring. I was just gathering a few. Met up with an unfriendly giant and a band of soldiers who took offence to my activities and they threw me in here..."