XX

"what flavor you want?"

rosalia hummed, looking at the different ice cream flavors. "what're you getting?"

"vanilla, probably." zion replied, swinging his hand that was holding rosalia's.

brandon rolled his eyes playfully, walking on the other side of rosalia. "that's so unoriginal."

zion let out a laugh at brandon's words, feeling rosalia move closer to him in a nervous matter. "yeah, i know. elom and adeline used to clown on me for it." the boy noticed the anxious looking child at his leg, causing worry to course through him. "rose, you good?"

rosalia nodded, looking around to the many children and adults walking around the ice cream shop. she felt brandon's stare on the side of her face causing her to look over at him. "justi— i mean, brandon, what're you getting?"

"probably cookies and cream. what about you, little bit?" brandon answered, noticing the small smile that appeared on rosalia's face.

"i don't know." she mumbled, looking back to the multiple rows of ice cream. "daddy doesn't usually take me out for ice cream, i used to go with my mama though. how about cookie dough? that was my mamas favorite."

zion nodded, sending the child a soft smile. "sounds good, rose."

"so you two want to make music?"

zion nodded, almost dropping his ice cream when brandon playfully nudged him. the boy glared, watching brandon send him a apologetic look.

"we try." brandon answered, watching the sunset from his swing.

rosalia pushed herself off the ground, swinging slightly. "my dad and uncles make music too!" she tried to push herself off the ground again, but failed. "z, can you push me?"

"yeah, hang on." he looked around for the nearest trash can, walking over to it and throwing his ice cream away.

"zion, right?"

zion perked his head up at the voice, furrowing his eyebrows at the boy who had said his name. "edwin?"

edwin let out a chuckle, nodding his head. "yeah, we're in the same english cla—"

"rosalia?" a childish voice rung through the park.

rosalias head perked up, the girl looking around confused. brandon let out a laugh, almost dropping his ice cream when rosalia hit his shoulder.

"katherine?" rosalia said, watching her new friend run up to the swing set. "what're you doing here?"

"my brother and i come here sometimes. what're you doing here?"

rosalia got out of her swing, letting katherine take it. brandon watched the two with a smile on his face, finding it cute how rosalia got so flustered around the other child.

"i'm here with zion and justin—" rosalia let out a series of giggles at the hurt expression on brandon's face. "i'm kidding, his names brandon. i just think it's funny."

"he looks familiar." katherine pointed at zion who had returned to his conversation with edwin. "he looks lik—"

"miss. kuwonu? that's her brother." rosalia cut her off, going behind katherine and pushing her in the swing.

"oh," katherine mumbled, smiling to herself when rosalia started pushing her softly. "you weren't at school today."

"my dad is out of town, so my uncle nate got me this morning and we watched movies instead."