Chapter Three

Chapter Three (Tristian)

Dear God.

Why didn't I just say no flat out? Why didn't I just tell him to go away and leave me alone? I could've just bluntly told him off, but instead, I beat around the bush because I didn't want to embarrass myself or hurt his feelings. Fantastic. Now he thought I was in denial.

I wasn't in denial...  Right? I mean, come on. I've never been attracted to guys at all. At the same time, I wasn't too into girls. I was too busy doing other things to care about dating in general. I never went through the whole 'experimentation' period of my life. I was too busy rushing through high school to get to college and by then, I think I had a pretty damn good reason for losing interest at that point.

I grimaced and scrunched myself up further on the chair, resting my head on the arm as I tugged a blanket over myself, trying to concentrate on the show. However, for once in my life, it was hard to focus on Tom's outrageous plots to catch Jerry.

I just stared at the screen, glancing up every so often to see if Rex had snuck back in after leaving to insist that he also stay the night. I didn't want to be in a house at night with him, even with locks. What if this guy was like Anthony? I made sure I was never alone with Anthony, unless it was in public, in which case I had plenty of people to witness an attack.

And yes, I wouldn't put it past Anthony to jump me. I wasn't being conceited, I was being cautious and maybe just a little paranoid, but paranoia could save my life, so I stuck with it.

I was tempted to try my "ignore the problem, it'll go away eventually" philosophy, but if it was failing with Anthony, then it would definitely fail with Rex.

He was too persistent. He kept playing around with words and almost freaked me out when I thought I offended him. I felt silly trying to talk to him. He was probably around Vic's age and, although he acted like he was a kid, I had a feeling he was way more mature than that and I still hadn't reached that level.

Nor did I want to.

I wouldn't trade cartoons, candy, and video games for office work, one night stands, and financial business. What sort of idiot would do that?

It took me a while to realize I had fallen asleep on the sofa and Ace must have come in and shut the television off because when I woke up, the living room was dark, save for the street lamp that shown through the window across the middle of the floor. I nibbled my lip before throwing the blankets back groggily.

As soon as I did, my stomach whined for food. I threw my head back with a groan. I could never get full enough to be content. I tried to heave myself up out of the chair, but to no avail, so I just rolled off and hit the floor on my hands and knees. I managed to pull myself up and shuffle to the kitchen, peering in first. Despite the darkness, I could make out a few shapes, being the counters, food still out, and other kitchen things.

I felt my hands along the counters, trying to get to the fridge when the lights flashed on and I gasped, tripping over my own feet and smacking into the floor.

"Why would you do that?" I demanded angrily, shielding my eyes and peering up to see Rex standing there in a pair of snug black boxers. I winced as Rex put a hand on his hip, an empty glass in the other.

"Because it's dark. What're you doing in the dark, pumpkin?" He asked, cocking his head. I frowned for a second, then got to my feet, steadying myself on the countertop.

"Starvin'." I answered flatly. Rex looked perplexed as he came over to the fridge, popping it open.

"You ate three plates of dinner."