i. the downpour

Derry, Maine, October 1988

Third Person POV

The rain pounded on the ground, splashing back up to hit the ground once more. The sky was grey gave everything a gloomy hue.

Mallory Uris and her twin brother, Stanley Uris, sat in their room, each reading different books. Stanley sighs and places his book onto the poor quality, tan carpet. He drags his fingers along each strand of carpet, changing it to a darker shade.

"Stan, you okay?"

Mallory looks up from her book, "Hatchet". Placing the book on her bed, she walks towards her twin.

"This is too stressful!" Stanley sighs as he stares at his copy of the Torah. His twin places her hand on his shoulder and slides down next to him.

"Hey, relax. Your Bar Mitzvah isn't until July, so you have time. I know it's stressful, but I know you're gonna do great."

Mallory continued to comfort her brother, trying to block out the thoughts of her own Bat Mitzvah.

"And don't forget, I'll help you whenever you need it."

Stan looked up at his sister and sighed once again. He was worried about his father, the Rabbi. He didn't want to disappoint him too. He offered her a sheepish smile and nodded.

From the window, the rain sang as it poured. It's been raining here in Derry for a while now, and the streets were starting to flood.

Both teenagers stared towards their window and watched as raindrops slowly fell down the glass.

"Stanley?"

"Yeah?"

"Why is it raining so much?"

Stan stood up and walked towards the window, his sister right behind him.

"I'm not sure, but I hope it passes soon."

"Betty and I were supposed to go return our books to the library today, but I didn't want to get my books wet."

Mallory picks up her book form her bed and places it on top of a pile of books on her nightstand. The books that were supposed to be returned today.

"I feel bad for Bill though," Mallory comments.

"Why? How do you-"

Mallory chuckles. "Even though I'm not part of your little, Loser Squad, I still know them. Plus Bill and I have English with each other."

"Yeah, he's pretty sick. Last I heard, he had some flu or something."

Stan and Mallory continued to discuss until their mother called them down for dinner. The twins raced down the stairs and ate with their parents.

A couple blocks away, William, Bill Denbrough laid in bed, nose burning from the puke he had just thrown up. His little brother, Georgie, wanted to go float a paper boat along the roadside. Bill helped paint the wax and told the boy to be safe, but things did not go as planned.

Georgie's boat went down the drain and as he tried to retrieve it back...

a clown bit his arm clean off.