iv. "it's summer"

The next day...

Mallory's POV

I got dressed in an old blue tank top and some kaiki shorts, wrapping a headband around my forehead. Stan was on the phone with one of his friends when I came down the creaky stairs.

"Who was that?" I ask.

"Bill, he said he wanted to get the group over to the Barrens now. I think Richie and Eddie were already with him."

"Well, have fun with that, I'll be at the library."

Stan laughed at me as he put his shoes on.

"What's so funny? I am!"

"You should go with me, go hang out with the Losers."

"Why would I do that?" I chuckle. "Richie annoys me and Eddie talks too much."

"You just need to get used to them. And no one should spend their summer in the library."

"Except for the librarian."

Stan laughs again, standing up. "Luckily, you're not a librarian. Oh come on, it'll be fun! If not, you never have to go again."

I ponder about it. I mean, I can just talk to Stan and Bill the whole time. I'm friends with Bill, he's really sweet. And he and I were almost on the same boat. He had lost his brother a couple months ago. He didn't go to school for a week after that.

Richie Tozier was a character. His parents seemed nice, but boy did that boy know how to say exactly what was on his mind. I had a class with him last year, and the number of times he got in trouble for saying things that weren't appropriate was unbelievable. Which is weird, because he's actually pretty smart for a dumbass.

Eddie Kaspbrak was such a child. Not that he was dumb, none of these boys were to be honest. But all Eddie did was worry about bacteria or germs and it gets real old, real quick.

"Fine, one day."

Stan grabs my hand and we run upstairs, backing our backpacks (mine now emptied of all school supplies and work) and fill it with flashlights and I snuck a book into mine.

I put my shoes on and Stan and I grab our bikes and head towards the Barrens.

On our way there, the rest of the group meets us. "Stanley!" Richie shouts, "You brought your girlfriend!"

"That's my sister you idiot." Stan glares at him as I let out a soft snicker. I know I said he was annoying but sometimes, he was funny.

"HI HO SILVER AWAY!" Bill shouts as we pass the library. I wish I was there instead of with this group.

"Your old lady bike's too fast for us!" Richie shouts back.

We make our way to the Barrens and prop our rusty bikes along some trees, Stan and I using our kickstands. That's one thing that Stan taught me. Always use the kickstand.

"So?" Stan asks me.

"What? Nothing happened yet?"

"But you're still here. Don't think I saw you eyeing the library."

"Nerd" Richie comments from behind us, causing both my twin and me to roll our eyes.

The Losers and I walk down a trail that leads to the Barrens. You know, a normal hangout spot for teenage kids.

Bill quickly enters into the Barrens, me closely following him. I had no one else to talk to and Stan was back with Richie and Eddie. Thank you, no thanks.