Chapter Five-Success

Chapter Five

Success

The morning comes too soon and brings a wave of pain along with it.

"Mm..." I groan and move onto my back so my sides aren't touching the bed anymore. Ugh, meds. I need my medicine before I can even think about getting up.

"You make awfully erotic noises as you wake, darling." A smooth voice whispers and it takes me a moment to recognize it as Loki's. I open my eyes and note the slight light filtering though the windows, signifying that's it's too damn early to be awake. Loki's beside me on the bed, where I'd just turned away from. Great...I was most likely clinging to his chill to soothe the pain. I'll definitely be hearing about that later. "Dear one?" He questions when I don't answer, but I'm just focused on taking shallow breaths. His head pops up and is framed by the morning sunlight. God, he looks godly. Those black curls are mangled now, but still frame his face nicely. Honestly, this suits his wild nature better.

"Meds, Loki." I tell him, praying he'll know what that means. After a moments hesitation, he gets up without jostling the bed then returns with a glass of water and my medicine. He gets out two pills and gently lifts my head to help me swallow them with a sip of water. "Thank you." I breathe. Loki sets my things on the bedside table, then gently places his hands over my ribs. My eyes shut at the heavenly feeling. A long, relieved sigh slips out of my lips and I press his hands slighter harder down with mine.

"You must breathe. Look at me." He commands and my instantly open before thinking about it. Loki stares back at me, eyes a startling sapphire blue as always. "Shall I distract you?" Loki questions, eyebrows furrowing slightly in concern. My eyes dart to a gold medal hanging around his neck just underneath his sleep shirt. I've glimpsed it before. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen him without the black band or gold glint between the buttons of his button downs. When my eyes return to his he seems to have resigned himself to telling me the tale. "Ah, the medal." He sighs and nods.

"It was a gift...from Thor. It was the first gift Odin gave to him as a man. A sign that Thor had, indeed, become a man. Thor and I were arguing and I told him that he could not battle a Rak'as and survive. A Rak'as is like a Rhinoceros here, but much larger and filled with an unexplainable rage." He chuckles at the memory while I listen amusedly. "Of course, he stormed out in anger while dragging me along, telling me he'll prove it to me. I did my best to talk him out of it, well, perhaps not my best." Loki admits with a small smile. "So, there we both were in the setting sun, doing our best to hunt down a Rak'as herd. They weren't that difficult to find with their ungodly noise, but I thought once Thor saw them and truly realized their strength and size, he'd retreat. He did the exact opposite. The moment we saw one he leapt onto it's back and tried to wrestle it." Loki sighs, as if reliving the sight of his brother's idiocy once again.

"The creature didn't seem to notice at first, then became annoyed with him and started to roll. Against my better judgement, I ran to him as he narrowly escaped being crushed and threw him a dagger to slay the beast. He took it and stabbed its heart, then grinned at me while covered in dust." Loki's smile is luminous while he speaks, making my heart ache. "Little did we know; a guard was keeping an eye on us from afar and had reported the events to Odin. We were called to the throne room that morning. While we were both admonished for our foolery, Thor was then given the medal. To display his courage and nerve." Even now, I can hear the mocking tone in Loki's voice, but it's quick to disappear. "We returned to our rooms and Thor instantly removed the medal to put it around my neck, telling me I deserved it for saving his life." The sincerity and tenderness in his eyes is breathtaking and I can't resist reaching up and letting one of his silken curls wrap around my finger. His eyes snap up to meet mine and shine with his past.